Interventional Cardiology Forum

Addressing risk factors

I am a 53 y.o. woman, 5'8" 215 lbs. with high cholesterol and high triglycerides.  In June I started a healthy eating program, (no simple carbs, white sugar, etc.) and walking 30 minutes at least 3 times a week.  Since I started I have lost 25 lbs. (I was at 240).  Am I doing enough?  What else do I need to do to prevent anymore damage?  I am on Niaspan and Tricor to control the cholesterol and triglycerides.  I am very worried as I will soon be in menopause where apparently my risk goes way up.  Thank you so much for your time!
It sounds like you are doing a great job! One big thing I would be sure of-- have you been screened for diabetes?
From a diet standpoint, I usually recommend the Mediterranean diet and you can find information on that heart healthy way of eating on the internet. I think it is one of the few you can do long-term. Most weight loss in America is related to diet so it sounds like you are doing it! Congratulations and let me know how you progress- keep in mind, that slow weight loss is the way to go. Consider more meals that are smaller in portion, too (5 small meals rather than 3 large meals)-- watch out for hidden carbs/sugars (soda is one of the worst culprits)
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.