Aa
A
A
A
Close
Interventional Cardiology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Lowering cholesterol without drugs...is it possible for my numbers?

I am a 74 years old woman. I exercise, am actively working part time,eating healthy. My recent blood work from an overnight fast was upsetting...total cholesterol 270, LDL 162, HDL 97, Triglycerides 61. My doctor wants to put me on a cholesterol lowering drug. I am very much against medications and would like to have any opinions on the risk I have or may be taking by not using drug therapy. Any alernative sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Eveyln
1 Responses
290383 tn?1193100321
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It might help to see a dietician to make sure you are doing everything you can.  It might be possible to increase your fiber in the diet as well as plant stanols--which might lower your LDL.
Popular Resources
Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.