Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community

Fainting and IBS

Has any one had fainting with IBS?  This has happened to me 4 times.   Last time fell forward and broke my check bone.  Always follows a bout of IBS,i.e., cramping, stools, sweating, etc.
It sound to me as if you may be experiencing some anxiety.  I may be wrong, i dont feel like fainting, but i am nauseous alot of the time when my stomach is acting up.  Are you nervous all the time for fear of fainting?  Have you talked with a gatro doctor about this and are you on any type of medication that may be causing this problem?  let me know whats going on.

thanks

crumy
Thanks for your reply.  No, I am not anxious before fainting - in fact, I forget about it and don't even realize that I might faint - just stand up and next thing I know I am awaking on the floor.  Yes, I do see a Gastro - have seen him again since last bout.  I do take Bentyl and he wants me to start Miralax.  Since last bout, I have seen 6 doctors, including the cardiologist.  I broke my cheek bone and damaged a nerve  which has affected my feeling in some teeth.  Am scheduled for a brain scan - but doctors are just not taking any chances.  We do know that a nerve in colon area is affected by blood rushing to that area during a bout.  Then when you stand up, blood pressure drops.  My Gastro says he has seen this happen before but never as often as I have experienced. So, be careful when you have a bad bout.  Thanks again.  Would like to hear how you handle your problem.    Caliston9
Im glad to hear that you are seeing a gatro doctor, lets just hope he is going to help you out, i have been with mine for 13 years and sometimes just feel that he has done nothing for me.  He just seems to want to stick a tube down my throat, but everytime i get it done, he says good news everything looks great, not exactly what i want to hear.  My husband feels that alot of my stomach issues are due to my nerves and stress.  I have to say that it has gotten worse over the years and am now on an anti anxiety medication after much pain and denial.  It seems to help but do not really want to be on any medication besides my question lite powder that i take to help bind my stools for fear that i will never be able to get off.  my husband has suffered from depression all his life and has been on medication for 7 years now, he has tried to get off but goes back to being depressed, i am not a depressed person per say except when i am having really bad stomach episodes, it seems to really hit me more in the winter time, do you ever feel it during different times of the year more, sometimes i wish they could go and cut my stomach open and take a look and see what i am feeling!  oh well, good luck with you hope nothing too serious, be careful getting up and take your time.

crumy

crumy
I have not seen any difference in seasonal affects.  I am a fruit and vegetable lover although I do eat meats.  Too much fresh fruit does affect me.  I think everyone has to figure out what bothers them and what helps.   Do you take Bentyl?  Is you problem more in stomach or colon?   When you have a bout do you have the terrible sweats as well as cramps?  Stress definitely does not help but don't think it is the base reason. So glad to hear from you
hi, you were saying that your doctor is starting you on miralax, so you have ibs with constipation it sounds like.  how often do you go (or not go) in a week?  maybe if your backed up, that might be part of your problem, i wish i was constipated sometimes, better than the other way!  my problems are with my intestines or stomach, i have had a bad stomach ever since i was young, don't know why.  i do not have any problems with sweating or cramps, like most ibs people seem to have, i just have loose movements alot since my gallbladder was removed 16 years ago, and when i am nervous about something or eat the wrong thing im in trouble.  i also just have a very sensitive stomach and cannot eat much of anything anymore, also, when my period is here, i have alot of stomach distress.

talk to you soon

crumy