Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community
Hello everyone, my boyfriend was recently diagonsed with IBS. He has had the symptoms for about 2 years and I finally begged him to go to a DR. He had tests done to rule out any other conditions. After he eats he get bad stomach aches and cramping. IBS is affecting our lives so bad we can't leave the house because he is afraid he will get a stomach ache or use the restroom.

So, what types of food should he be eating? What works for everyone? I want to help him as much as I can. His doctor told him to keep a food journal.
The first thing to do is add a probiotic and after he has tried that for a week or two, try adding Metamucil.  

Is his "IBS" more with diarrhea or constipation?  Either way, Metamucil may improve his symptoms.  You can take pills instead of mixing the powder form into water, but you need to pay attention and get enough water or it can actually be constipating.  Not everybody is helped by Metamucil, but some are.  It is very healthy because it also helps lower cholesterol.  

Common problematic foods are dairy, wheat/gluten, soy,  hot spices, coffee, and fatty foods.  Sometimes nuts and peanuts cause pain.  

You say he was tested for everything else, but make sure Celiac disease was tested for.  

Does he have any other symptoms, like headaches?  Does he seem to have thicker blood than normal?  
I understand how he feels about not wanting to leave the house.  Fortunately, there are some things that can be done to help with IBS.  

First off, try to avoid fast foods, fried foods, caffiene, dairy, and large amounts of sweets.  Every person has different food triggers but those are the most common.  As mentioned in the post above, I would also reccomend that he add some fiber to his diet.  Keeping a food diary is an excellent idea to try and target what foods are causing him symptoms.

Did his doctor say anything about medications?  I take a medication called Levsin and have had really good luck with it.  

Best of luck to you both.
He has doesn't have any constipation, and has occasional diarherra. He does not have Celiac disease, he was tested for it. The stange part is that if we are home his symptoms do not flare up but if we have to leave or go somewhere for example like school his stomach will begin to hurt.
As I said in the above post it seems that his symptoms do not flare up until he has to leave the house, because of being afraid his symptoms will flare up when he goes everyday places. It is really starting to control our lives.  His  doctor prescribed him the first prescription to treat IBS and the second prescription for anxiety and also another low dose anti-depressant. I have been keeping track of every appointment, test that is ran, advice, and dosage in a binder. He has only been taking all of his medications for about two weeks so I have only seen a slight improvement. His doctor told him that stress can trigger a lot of his symptoms. I don't know how to help him not have anxiety about going out.

Medications: Dicyclomine, Xanax
The anti-depressant/anxiety medication helped me out extremely!!! I have been on a 25mg dose of amitriptyline for over a year now. I used to experience painful gas and diarrhea. I was having the same anxieties and stomach episodes when I left my house as well. This medication helped me out COMPLETELY!!! I believe those meds he was prescribed will help with leaving the house.

Well done you for convincing him to go to the doctor. We men can be very stubborn. I've had the same problem with friends who've described similar symptoms.

I’ve tried just about everything under the sun to get my IBS under control. I swing from diarrhea to constipation with all the lovely bloating and pain that comes with both.. and I have come to the conclusion that it is just something you need to be open and very matter of fact about. I've had it for 20+ years now.

I was initially told it was just the stress of my job. Which, yes, of course it probably was. And as I slow down a bit ahead of retirement and having my PA know when to field calls and help me with my militarized schedule helps– regularity is key (ho ho). I try and regiment my life so that I don’t skip meals or eat on the run or eat the wrong thing (all of which I was guilty of doing in my younger days) .

So I would recommend that he let's people know - at work so they can be more accommodating and friends (it may be a little embarrassing at first) but it will mean that he can be open about problems he might have with leaving the house. The pressure will be less if he doesn't have to deal with things alone. And this in itself can alleviate the anxiety side of the problem.

Now, someone earlier mentioned probiotics. And I'm a newly converted fan. But I would say to read up yourself on the different ways that they work. I've recently started taking Symprove and its working for me. I was convinced by their explanation of how probiotics work and how best to get them to where they'll actually do something. (the gut, of course)

I'm no doctor, but I can say from personal experience that it has been working for me so far. I've been taking it for over a month now.

I found out about it through an article in the Daily Mail which was all about a study at Kings College into the Symprove drink and people with severe IBS. I can dig out the link if you like? Otherwise, just google Symprove and I'm sure their website and the article will probably just come up.

I hope that's of help and all I can say is just try and be as supportive and understanding as you can - which I'm sure you are. He's lucky to have you.

Mark