Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community

Is there any relief from constant nausea?

For the past few years I have had problems with my digestive/gastro-intestinal health. About two years ago I noticed that I seemed to be having a more frequently upset stomach (usually diarrhoea) than was normal. About once a month I'd have a severly upset stomach but the rest of the time I'd be fine. Then about a year and a half ago I realised that I was feeling nauseaous every single day, usually in the morning, but sometimes in the afternoons too. Often eating would relieve the feeling for a couple of hours, but at other times eating would make me feel much worse and even sicker. Since then I have been to see various doctors and gastro specialists, I've had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy but they have not discovered anything. The common diagnosis is that it is IBS, but I don't really suffer from the constipation/diarrhoea pattern and nausea is my biggest problem. I have also noticed that I am quite bloated (much more than I used to be) and my stomach is constantly churning, grumbling and making noises. I feel like I constantly want to press and kneed my stomach, because it is so bloated, pulsing and gassy. Despite the never-ending nausea I have never actually been sick, however when I'm feeling really nauseous I seem to swallow excessively which can make me feel terrible.

Although nausea doesn't sound like a particularly bad problem it affects me every day and can prevent me living my life as I want to. I often feel that I can't be active or do excercise because my stomach feels so uncomfortable and I feel so sluggish. It can disrupt nights out with my friends when I suddenly feel incredibly sick or my stomach is upset. Frustratingly doctors seem to lose interest in finding out what's wrong now that they know it's nothing serious, but I long for the days when I didn't worry about what my stomach was doing or how I was feeling.

Can anyone help or does anybody else suffer from similar symptoms? Furthermore does anybody have a cure for nausea that really works? I've tried Dom Peridone (Motillium), peppermint capsules, ginger capsules and so far no relief!

Any input gratefully received.

LaLa
Hey, I am currently having the exact same thing.  it started last saturday though; only a week now, but i am already over it.  i have had a dr appointment and she has suggested i have a gastroscopy and colonoscopy and try to get to the bottom of it.  i am almost too scared to eat cause i dont know if i'll feel better or worse, so i have dropped 3 kg in a week.  my belly rumbles and grumbles all the time too and if i do a belly wave - in and out i can make it grumnble really loudly. weird!  so i am eaing foods i sort of know are ok, but then yesterday i had some rice like i have in the last few days, but yesterday it made me feel yukky???  dont know?? dr has put me on zantac for a possible ulcer, and it has helped a bit but not completely, although i have read they can take up to four weeks to clear an ulcer?

i also dont have the typical bowel symptoms; just nausea really.  i do get a bit of diarrhea but that is only when i sit and stress about what it is that is wrong with me. until i know, i am destined to stress as i'm prone to a fair bit of anxiety.

can you tell me a bit more about your symptoms?  have you found yourself googling your symptoms and then freaking out about all the possibilities?  what was the gastroscopy like?  thats concerning me too!!
Hey there,

It sounds like your doctor is taking it quite seriously (which is a good sign that they want to help you get it fixed). It's the nausea and the growling in my stomach which is the worst for me. If I rub my stomach it churns and gurgles and feels really horrible. Obviously mine's been going on for quite a while so not sure if it's the same thing, but it is so frustrating not knowing what's wrong and looking for answers that nobody seems to have!

As for food, it seems that I can eat something one day and be absolutely fine and another day it'll make me feel really sick. I just wish I could find out what was causing it as it makes you really paranoid and suspicious of everything.

Don't worry about the colonoscopy and gastroscopy/endoscopy - they'll knock you out so that you barely know what's happening. The gastroscopy is slightly uncomfortable but it's probably the prep (taking the laxatives for the colonoscopy) which is the worst part of the whole thing. Anyway, it'll hopefully give you peace of mind that it's nothing really serious, although in a way I found myself wishing they'd find something just so I'd finally know what this problem is!

Good luck!
B6-- 25 or 50 mg is very good for nausea. It is sometimes given to
pregnant women. My daughter took it so it would not be harmful
to the baby but helped her. I take it as well. It has other benefits
for women. You can get it in the drugstore and it's inexpensive.
Try it and you'll probably notice right away that it helps!
Hi! Wow, this sounds so very similar to what I'm suffering from. I'm 21 and have been getting nausea for about 5 months now. I initially got sick from antibiotics I was on for a tooth ache 6 months ago. Then from that I got 2 bouts of gastroenteritis over Christmas/New Years. I was okay for a few weeks, then gradually started to feel sick again. No diarrhea like I had with the gastro, just severe sickness. But like you, I never actually vomit. Even when I had gastro I wasn't sick! Anyway, I had an emergency gastroscopy and colonoscopy (as I had to wait like 3 weeks to see a specialist! I ended up in emergency it got that bad!) and they found I had chemical gastritis - inflamation of the stomach lining cause by acid. So I was put on anti-acid medication that (after 6 weeks) made me worse. So my specialist put me on another type of medication but after 4 weeks of that, still no better. I have seen 2 seperate specialists, as the first seemed to be too busy to even remember my name and basically said "We don't have all the anwers, get a second opinion'. After I stopped that last medication, I felt better for a few days (it was such a relief, I'd forgotten what it felt like to have a normal stomach!) but alas, my body was teasing me. One doctor seemed to just get frustrated at me as I was almost crying during a consultation and told me it was probably just anxiety (such a bulls*** cop-out in my opinion). I KNOW it's not that. Problem is, I've had every test imaginable: gastroscopy, colonoscopy, countless blood tests, stool samples, urine tests, ultrasounds, CT Scan... I know what it feels to kind of just be given up on after all the big things are ruled out. But HOW can they be ruled out when I feel like this every day?! From the moment I wake up to the moment i go to bed, I have no relief. The worst thing about this is that I am about to go overseas on my own for 8 months - travelling everywhere. Saving for this my entire life, so to go through it with nausea is so upsetting...

I've kind of just accepted that I'll be putting up with this for the rest of my life. I'm seeing a naturopath on Wednesday. I'm literally trying everything!
Hi! I know exactly how you feel. Been going through IBS for about 3 years now . I get nauseated about once every week for about the past month. When it hits me it is usually at night and I get the shakes with it. I sometimes have BM but sometimes not. When it gets really bad I take an antispasmotic which stops the nausea. I now feel scared to go anywhere at night in case it hits. I have been seeing a herbal specialist that has really helped in the past. Have you tried a probiotic. It usually helps me. When I was younger I was always constipated. Now it goes back and forth. My herbal lady says it is because my colon is a muscle and it wasn't used alot growing up so it is very weak. When I do have BM it can make me feel very sick. She says I need to build up my colon muscles. She also says when I have a BM it is like getting a muscle cramp. Which is what it feels like. She has really helped me. Hope this helps.
Hi there,

Thanks for the tip, I'll go out and get some B6 and see if it helps!
Hi Allison,

Sounds like you've been through a really rough time and I share your frustration. Let me know if you get anywhere. I'm seeing my doctor again about it this week. I'm trying to keep my fingers crossed but i'm losing hope that anything will ever help. I too have not been taken seriously and was referred to a therapist who kept asking about my past and not dealing with the problem at hand. It just makes me so mad that people think it's in my head just because they haven't yet found the medical problem which is causing it. Good luck with everything!
Hi Radtech,

How do you build up your colon muscles - are there some exercises? I'll take your advice about trying a herbalist - I'm desperate to try anything!

Thanks.
no excercises but some herbal remedies that help strenghen the walls.  hope it helps.
I have a similar problem & am trying to get answers too. I have had nausea, vomiting, cold sweats for about 20 years. I have had so many tests. The Dr.'s thought mainly: gall bladder or ulcer. - but I usually feel better after I eat, if I force food down when I'm sick. I usually get sick in the mornings, before lunch. I have had upper g.i. with small intestine follow through, blood tests for glucose, low blood sugar, diabetes, to check liver, pancreas, hida scan, ultra sound of the gall bladder, ge reflux, etc., & nothing found yet. Gall bladder problems usually cause you to get sick after eating greasy food, but that doesn't seem to bother me, & I feel better after eating. Mine starts with cold sweats, then nausea, & if I eat the right thing in time, it'll go away, but if not, I vomit. Then if I eat a meal, it goes away in about 20 min.'s. It almost always happens before lunch, but now is also starting to get worse, getting nausea in the late afternoon until I eat a snack. The longer I have this, the more often it happens.
I have a similar problem & am trying to get answers too. I have had nausea, vomiting, cold sweats for about 20 years. I have had so many tests. The Dr.'s thought mainly: gall bladder or ulcer. - but I usually feel better after I eat, if I force food down when I'm sick. I usually get sick in the mornings, before lunch. I have had upper g.i. with small intestine follow through, blood tests for glucose, low blood sugar, diabetes, to check liver, pancreas, hida scan, ultra sound of the gall bladder, ge reflux, etc., & nothing found yet. Gall bladder problems usually cause you to get sick after eating greasy food, but that doesn't seem to bother me, & I feel better after eating. Mine starts with cold sweats, then nausea, & if I eat the right thing in time, it'll go away, but if not, I vomit. Then if I eat a meal, it goes away in about 20 min.'s. It almost always happens before lunch, but now is also starting to get worse, getting nausea in the late afternoon until I eat a snack. The longer I have this, the more often it happens. Also, the Dr. put me on prevacid to help me not vomit, & it has helped a lot. Most times now, I get nausea & feel like vomiting, but don't. Still, I do sometimes.
(more to my above message): Also, I get a stomach ache now sometimes too. I actually feel like I have the flu, & then after I eat, it goes away.
Hey lalalondon! (and everybody else! My goodness you're sounding very similar to me. I'm 22 and have had chronic nausea almost every day for the past 5 or so years. I totally understand what you mean when you say it stops you from living the way you want to...it really is so debilitating and can really make you feel depressed. I had all sorts of tests done including MRIs and gastroscopies - they showed nothing abnormal. Then I got a very different perspective - I saw a psychiatrist and he brought my attention to the fact that it's very possible that the body can manifest it's emotional symptoms (anxiety, stress) into physical ones. For some people it might be migraines or reflux or whatever, but unfortunately for us it's nausea. I really disagreed with this perspective when I was first told but as the years go on I'm starting to think it's right. The nausea doesn't have any direct kind of association with stress or anxiety, it's more that your body has become used to retreating to nausea as a coping mechanism...or more simply it's just become used to switching on the nausea. Is this sounding plausible!? I suffer the same issues with eating and going out and random bouts of nausea too...a medication that has been very good for me is Stematyl (just an anti-nausea med) or Maxalon. Give them a go bc they really help me - even if it is just a placebo! I hope you get yourself sorted, it's the absolute worst x
I have been suffering from nausea for over a year now. I got it 2 years ago when i was told i had a kidney infection. The nausea went after 2 weeks. I have always suffered with constipation and at times could go a whole week without going to the loo. But when i did go i would be on the loo for over an hour.
Then a year ago i got very cold and began feeling the nausea coming back. I went to the docs and they said again it could be a kidney infection. They tested my urine and gave me antibiotics. Since last summer the longest i have gone without feeling sick is 4 weeks! That now would be a dream to have 4 weeks of feeling better. In Feb/March time i was given Colpermin which helped to keep me regular and then i had 4 weeks of feeling ok! But then 3 weeks ago the sickness began and the doc once again asked for a urine sample!! This got sent to the lab as i was told they had found something and they gave me antibiotics. I ended up going to a&e at 1 point as the nausea was that bad i couldnt even hold a converstaion as speaking or doing anything made the sickness worse. At the hosp they tested my urine and said it was fine and there was no infection.
The next day was my friends wedding and i dont know how i managed to get through that day. My stomach ballooned up and my dress would hardly fit. I struggled to eat or drink 1 drink for th toast. The day after the nausea eased a little and then last week for 3 days i felt alot better. Then on Thursday out of the blue i began feeling nausea and shivering. My few days off work were spoilt due to feeling very sick and my belly ballooned. I then was actually sick and then had runny poo's. I was meant to be having a night away with my boyfriend and as we have had to cancel about 3 holidays, 2 family parties and the whole of xmas die to my nausea and stomach troubles i had to try and get through the 2 days away. It was hell!
My doctor has tried me on the following sickness tablets:
Cyclizine, Metoclopramide, motilium, domperidone, buccastem & also ondansetron which none have helped me. I have tried ginger also but this does nothing. The doc says they are to send me to have a camera look inside of me but im waiting for the appointment.
This is ruining my life, my job and my relationship as i can go days with feeling that sick i cant do anything. My other half is getting to the point he cant book a holiday for us as theres always a good chance i will get poorly and unable to fly or travel anywhere. Its cost me about £600 in cancelling trips, holidays in the last year.
I find the nausea the worst symptom i have as nausea can stop you from doing so much. I would love to find something to cure the nausea but the doc told me i have tried everything he can think of. So fed up :(
Wow, cant believe all that I am reading. I was diagnosed with IBS about 12 years ago and had a barium enema done, telling me I have tiny pockets in my stomach lining that can keep foodparticals and than turn into bacteria that can make me feel nausious.
I have been pretty good for years, but the last week I have been having a horrible stomach ache everytime I would eat something. And have a bloated stomach on top of it. I have been eating toast today and drinking water, but it seems to come on in the afernoons and not sure what to do about it. I tried today to start eating healthy to see if I can clean out my stomach. Ofcourse I do not know if this is my IBS flaring up, because I never hd the nausea with it, but now reading all of this I wonder if I should go to the doctor and see what she will say.
I am 27 years old and I was diagnosed with IBS about 13 years ago. Although nausea has been part of my life since I can remember, about 4 years ago I started having dizziness and nausea every day. Although I never throw up, it gets so bad that I also fear going out. Four years ago they told me that the nausea and dizziness was caused by my IBS so I started limiting my lactose and gluten consumption and this helped a little bit but what helped the most was Levosulpiride and Trimebutine. While I was taking these medications I was feeling really good like I never had before (I even thought, WOW this is how regular people feel!) no nausea, no dizziness! I then stopped taking the medication and the nausea returned. Then went back to the Dr. and they gave me Mebeverine instead of the Levosulpiride. Although it worked for a while, after some time of taking it, it stopped working. The Dr. then gave me an antibiotic called Rifaximine, since in the last years doctors believe most of IBS is caused by overgrowth of Bacteria in the small intestine and if given special antibiotics, a lot of people has even been cured. I took the antibiotic three weeks ago and I have been taking Trimebutine and Simeticone and it has not been working. I have been feeling worse than ever this past week and I am really desperate. I will be going back to the Dr. again next week and I hope they will give me again Levosulpiride and I will be able to feel good again. Maybe you guys could try the antibiotics or the Levosulpiride since this last one is the only medication that has helped me with the nausea (I have also tried Reglan and it worked for a while but it gave me anxiety as a side effect). Good luck to you all!
I heard about the antibiotic Rifaximine but am reluctant to try any more antibiotics.  My diagnosis is "post-infectious IBS" - basically over use of anti-biotics prescribed by negligent doctors and then a really bad stomach infection while traveling in India.  The result?  IBS symptoms for 9 months.  Like everyone else, I've done all the tests, however, I don't want to take any of the medications.  I've been trying to adjust with acupuncture, herbs and diet (but why o why do I have to give up my coffee?).  There was a period where I was feeling better but then stupidly went out and drank champagne.  How careless!!!!  That sent me back into a spiralling relapse.   This is has been an awful challenging year.  I developed anemia and other deficiencies because of mal-absorption.  My fatigue is crippling as well as constant stomach ache.  My acupuncturist seems so confident we'll get through this but I'm admittedly skeptical.
I know how you feel. i have suffered chronic nausea every day since i was 19( I am now 23). my doctor believes it may be a severe symptom of GERD but all he put me on was maximum strength prevacid, phenergran, and bonine when neccessary. the damage i am having to do to my liver with all the meds is rediculous. i take 90 phenergrans in about three weeks, normally i have at least ten to twelve episodes a month where i have to take the bonine and the prevacid every day. i still can barely eat and have been checked for a multitude of digestive issues as well as having to go to a therapist and nothing has helped. i spent the first two years i had this problem eating mashed potatoes because everything else made me feel so terrible. now i have a vitamin deficiency due to the limited diet. hope you find an answer to your problem....wish i would find a definate diagnosis so i could get the right treatment and get better myself.
I'm 18 and ever since the end of the 10th grade I started feeling constant nausea, every day, all day. Then in 11th grade it went away and I felt good for most of the year(here and there i'd be nauseas). Then what do you know in 12th grade I started getting it again, all day, everyday, it never stops. In the past may, i got really annoyed and went to go see a doctor. I got a endoscopy done and nothing was found, i got a sonogram done and nothing was found. Next week I am getting a barium xray or something. I've lost ~8 pounds since then but I think it's because I don't eat. When I eat nothing happens I don't get more nauseas or less nauseous but I do get a bloating sensation in my upper abdomen. My nausea is really located in the lower part of my abdomen(lower instestinal area). Also, I feel like i have to use the bathroom for a good majority of the time but when i go sit, i cant get anything out. I burp consistently and sometimes i get harsh waves of nausea but i never puke. I must say that I don't suffer from loss of appetite, I always am "hungry" as in I wanna eat the food but my body won't let me like I rarely get the feeling of hunger. Recently I started to get eye floaters (not sure if  this is linked or not) like since 2or 3 weeks ago. My stomach also is "moving" all the time. It like grumbles but not constantly but sometimes that makes it feel better if i can get it to grumble. I push on my abdomen as if there was something in there because it does feel like i can just kneed my stomach out. When i say stomach i am talking about my lower intestinal area of my abdomen. I get nervous that I will be sick if I eat so I only eat at my house. Which ***** cuz i have to go through a whole day of college without eating. Anyone have any ideas on what it could be?
I really am on the same page with most of you. I have been having chronic nausea since November 2006 when it became an everyday affair.  Always - everyday.  Not enough to make me vomit. No pain except when I get a left lower abdomen pain that they believe is a mild form of diverticulosis. I have been to three gastros, two interns, had every test possible, was told that I have GERD but I don't get acid reflux and IBS which is a catch all when they don't know what you have.  All the tests show little abnormalities but nothing dramatic.  The results of one test indicate that when I am having nausea the that I have acid in my esophagas. That test was where I had to have a monitor inserted via my nose into the esophagus for 24 hours to register acid.
I have a small hernia, a gall bladder that isn't working at 100 percent, but when they tested it they said was not bad enough to operate.  If I eat I feel better for a while but then the nausea returns in an hour or so.  It seems that as soon as my stomach is empty I am nauseous. But then I eat again, feel better, then again sick feeling.  I was told I don't have an ulcer or didn't when I had the tests done about 3 years ago. I was a put on proto pump inhibitors, different kinds at different times. I wanted to try to do it without drugs but had to recently return to taking them again along with sucralfate which is given to ulcer patients.  You take it 3 hours after you eat and one hour before your next meal. It coats the stomach and esophagus. After three weeks,   I am not feeling much better. But I am going to try to be really careful with my diet and see if it gets any better over the next couple of weeks before I set an appointment with a U.C. Davis Medical School Gastro.  I can't sleep at night because of nausea and am going to buy an electric bed so I can raise the bed to try to avoid any acid in the esophagus. It is exhausting.    
The danger is if it is acid in the esophagus, it can ultimately develop into esophageal cancer so taking the sucralfate is to hopefully protect the lining of the esophagus.

I am interesting in any treatments or diets that have worked for anyone.
Lorraine
I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL!!!!! I am dizzy/ naseus 80% of the time. Preventing me from having a care free life of coming and going as i wish. If i didnt work for my family business i would have been fire LONG ago. Mornings are always the worst for some reason. And being 28 and sexually active it sometimes scares the heck out of me thinking im possibly pregnant. Ive had two kids and this feeling at times totoaly feels like im preggo again. The past 2 or so years have been the absolute worst for me. Dr's definitly dont take me seriously just as you say. They want to blame it all on stress or depression. Yes it is very stressful to feel like this daily and not be able to be an active mother as i wish to be. Im tired of telling my children " im sorry i cant go outside and run around right now, mommy doesnt feel well again"!!!!! Ive have both procedures done where they stick the camera tube down my throat, and one up the other end lol. I felt confident that i would find answers in getting those tests done, but nothing. Its come to the point i HATE Doctors. I know something is wrong with me and im not talking emotionally as the doctors want to say.... and then push me out the door and on to the next patient. I only feel comfort that someon understands me by reading these posts, where other people have the Same Exact symtoms as I do. But at the same time it is so discuraging seeing how everyone says the same thing about doctors and how they seem almost heartless about our situation. Ive been told to go to a therapist several times becasue i have broke down crying to dr's. This is no way to live life. And i want a solution. Yes of course im going to cry about it because i just want to go on with life and not be sick every single day. Yes this makes me cry. Doesnt mean im a depressed person and need therapy.
Well for me i have gone to many many Dr'sand speacialists, my next try is going to be a homeopathic dr and testing myself for food alergies. I really dont know what else to do.
What also ***** is knowing how annoying i sound to other people when i say "i feel sick again"..... ESpecially the look on my childrens face when im letting them down not being an active mother all the time.

What to do? What to do?
Hi everybody, I haven't posted in a couple of years and it's interesting reading back to how I was feeling then and comparing it with how I am feeling now. Things are by no means perfect but my life is not nearly so disrupted by all the nausea and symptoms as it was two years ago. There are a few things which I think have helped which might or might not be useful for any of the rest of you:

1) I got a different job which I am much happier in. I was (and still am) cynical that stress or anxiety was causing these problems, but I definitely think stress makes the the existing problem worse. Without even realising it I was dreading work on a daily basis and I think this was adding to my unsettled stomach. Now I don't exactly love my job but I don't dread and fear it so I think this has helped.

2) I have been taking Optibac probiotics for Daily Immunity. This could be a placebo effect as again it seems like a simple solution but i've definitely had fewer episodes of upset stomachs and cramping since taking them.

3) I'm being more careful with what I eat. Weirdly enough all the usual things which people say you shouldn't eat too much of (cakes, chocolate, pasta) make me feel fine, whereas some of the 'healthier' stuff like garlic, too much fruit and certain vegetables make things worse. I'm sure this type of thing is personal to everybody but it did make me think that often a so called perceived 'healthy diet' doesn't work for everybody - in fact for those of us with gastro problems it could be making it worse.

Anyway, these are small things and there doesn't seem to be a quick fix solution but they've helped me out.

The one thing I really need to try to master now is travelling out of the UK as this is when things really flare up. It doesn't have to be an exotic country, even a trip to France or Spain will have me running to the toilet and feeling constantly sick. A trip to Cuba last year was really ruined by feeling sick and having an upset stomach the whole time - I lost a stone in just under 3 weeks (which when you weigh 8.5 stone is quite substantial!) Next time I go away i'm going to try Optibac Probiotics for travelling abroad as i've read some good things about these, however I am trying to come to terms with the fact that i'm always going to have to be more careful than other people and this problem may never go away completely.

I hope some of you can find some solutions that help you, I know what a drain it can be on your life and it's so depressing when it feels like nobody understands or cares.

Good luck xx
hi i have also gastro problem for last 12 years, i have always upset in my abdomen, thick sticky paste like stool, gas/air in abdomen, intolerance with all dairy products, sweets fish and eggs, im living very upset life, in last 12 years i have taken lots of medicine, did all kinds of tests (normal) but no improvement, now im tired of my life, im taking probiotics which are very expensive and slightly helps,,, now what more i should do

kazim,
age:33 wt: 55kg. pakistan