Is there any relief from constant nausea?

For the past few years I have had problems with my digestive/gastro-intestinal health. About two years ago I noticed that I seemed to be having a more frequently upset stomach (usually diarrhoea) than was normal. About once a month I'd have a severly upset stomach but the rest of the time I'd be fine. Then about a year and a half ago I realised that I was feeling nauseaous every single day, usually in the morning, but sometimes in the afternoons too. Often eating would relieve the feeling for a couple of hours, but at other times eating would make me feel much worse and even sicker. Since then I have been to see various doctors and gastro specialists, I've had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy but they have not discovered anything. The common diagnosis is that it is IBS, but I don't really suffer from the constipation/diarrhoea pattern and nausea is my biggest problem. I have also noticed that I am quite bloated (much more than I used to be) and my stomach is constantly churning, grumbling and making noises. I feel like I constantly want to press and kneed my stomach, because it is so bloated, pulsing and gassy. Despite the never-ending nausea I have never actually been sick, however when I'm feeling really nauseous I seem to swallow excessively which can make me feel terrible.

Although nausea doesn't sound like a particularly bad problem it affects me every day and can prevent me living my life as I want to. I often feel that I can't be active or do excercise because my stomach feels so uncomfortable and I feel so sluggish. It can disrupt nights out with my friends when I suddenly feel incredibly sick or my stomach is upset. Frustratingly doctors seem to lose interest in finding out what's wrong now that they know it's nothing serious, but I long for the days when I didn't worry about what my stomach was doing or how I was feeling.

Can anyone help or does anybody else suffer from similar symptoms? Furthermore does anybody have a cure for nausea that really works? I've tried Dom Peridone (Motillium), peppermint capsules, ginger capsules and so far no relief!

Any input gratefully received.

LaLa
Hi Allison,

Sounds like you've been through a really rough time and I share your frustration. Let me know if you get anywhere. I'm seeing my doctor again about it this week. I'm trying to keep my fingers crossed but i'm losing hope that anything will ever help. I too have not been taken seriously and was referred to a therapist who kept asking about my past and not dealing with the problem at hand. It just makes me so mad that people think it's in my head just because they haven't yet found the medical problem which is causing it. Good luck with everything!
Hi Radtech,

How do you build up your colon muscles - are there some exercises? I'll take your advice about trying a herbalist - I'm desperate to try anything!

Thanks.
no excercises but some herbal remedies that help strenghen the walls.  hope it helps.
I have a similar problem & am trying to get answers too. I have had nausea, vomiting, cold sweats for about 20 years. I have had so many tests. The Dr.'s thought mainly: gall bladder or ulcer. - but I usually feel better after I eat, if I force food down when I'm sick. I usually get sick in the mornings, before lunch. I have had upper g.i. with small intestine follow through, blood tests for glucose, low blood sugar, diabetes, to check liver, pancreas, hida scan, ultra sound of the gall bladder, ge reflux, etc., & nothing found yet. Gall bladder problems usually cause you to get sick after eating greasy food, but that doesn't seem to bother me, & I feel better after eating. Mine starts with cold sweats, then nausea, & if I eat the right thing in time, it'll go away, but if not, I vomit. Then if I eat a meal, it goes away in about 20 min.'s. It almost always happens before lunch, but now is also starting to get worse, getting nausea in the late afternoon until I eat a snack. The longer I have this, the more often it happens.
I have a similar problem & am trying to get answers too. I have had nausea, vomiting, cold sweats for about 20 years. I have had so many tests. The Dr.'s thought mainly: gall bladder or ulcer. - but I usually feel better after I eat, if I force food down when I'm sick. I usually get sick in the mornings, before lunch. I have had upper g.i. with small intestine follow through, blood tests for glucose, low blood sugar, diabetes, to check liver, pancreas, hida scan, ultra sound of the gall bladder, ge reflux, etc., & nothing found yet. Gall bladder problems usually cause you to get sick after eating greasy food, but that doesn't seem to bother me, & I feel better after eating. Mine starts with cold sweats, then nausea, & if I eat the right thing in time, it'll go away, but if not, I vomit. Then if I eat a meal, it goes away in about 20 min.'s. It almost always happens before lunch, but now is also starting to get worse, getting nausea in the late afternoon until I eat a snack. The longer I have this, the more often it happens. Also, the Dr. put me on prevacid to help me not vomit, & it has helped a lot. Most times now, I get nausea & feel like vomiting, but don't. Still, I do sometimes.
(more to my above message): Also, I get a stomach ache now sometimes too. I actually feel like I have the flu, & then after I eat, it goes away.

You are reading content posted in the Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community