Is there any relief from constant nausea?

For the past few years I have had problems with my digestive/gastro-intestinal health. About two years ago I noticed that I seemed to be having a more frequently upset stomach (usually diarrhoea) than was normal. About once a month I'd have a severly upset stomach but the rest of the time I'd be fine. Then about a year and a half ago I realised that I was feeling nauseaous every single day, usually in the morning, but sometimes in the afternoons too. Often eating would relieve the feeling for a couple of hours, but at other times eating would make me feel much worse and even sicker. Since then I have been to see various doctors and gastro specialists, I've had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy but they have not discovered anything. The common diagnosis is that it is IBS, but I don't really suffer from the constipation/diarrhoea pattern and nausea is my biggest problem. I have also noticed that I am quite bloated (much more than I used to be) and my stomach is constantly churning, grumbling and making noises. I feel like I constantly want to press and kneed my stomach, because it is so bloated, pulsing and gassy. Despite the never-ending nausea I have never actually been sick, however when I'm feeling really nauseous I seem to swallow excessively which can make me feel terrible.

Although nausea doesn't sound like a particularly bad problem it affects me every day and can prevent me living my life as I want to. I often feel that I can't be active or do excercise because my stomach feels so uncomfortable and I feel so sluggish. It can disrupt nights out with my friends when I suddenly feel incredibly sick or my stomach is upset. Frustratingly doctors seem to lose interest in finding out what's wrong now that they know it's nothing serious, but I long for the days when I didn't worry about what my stomach was doing or how I was feeling.

Can anyone help or does anybody else suffer from similar symptoms? Furthermore does anybody have a cure for nausea that really works? I've tried Dom Peridone (Motillium), peppermint capsules, ginger capsules and so far no relief!

Any input gratefully received.

LaLa
Hey lalalondon! (and everybody else! My goodness you're sounding very similar to me. I'm 22 and have had chronic nausea almost every day for the past 5 or so years. I totally understand what you mean when you say it stops you from living the way you want to...it really is so debilitating and can really make you feel depressed. I had all sorts of tests done including MRIs and gastroscopies - they showed nothing abnormal. Then I got a very different perspective - I saw a psychiatrist and he brought my attention to the fact that it's very possible that the body can manifest it's emotional symptoms (anxiety, stress) into physical ones. For some people it might be migraines or reflux or whatever, but unfortunately for us it's nausea. I really disagreed with this perspective when I was first told but as the years go on I'm starting to think it's right. The nausea doesn't have any direct kind of association with stress or anxiety, it's more that your body has become used to retreating to nausea as a coping mechanism...or more simply it's just become used to switching on the nausea. Is this sounding plausible!? I suffer the same issues with eating and going out and random bouts of nausea too...a medication that has been very good for me is Stematyl (just an anti-nausea med) or Maxalon. Give them a go bc they really help me - even if it is just a placebo! I hope you get yourself sorted, it's the absolute worst x
I have been suffering from nausea for over a year now. I got it 2 years ago when i was told i had a kidney infection. The nausea went after 2 weeks. I have always suffered with constipation and at times could go a whole week without going to the loo. But when i did go i would be on the loo for over an hour.
Then a year ago i got very cold and began feeling the nausea coming back. I went to the docs and they said again it could be a kidney infection. They tested my urine and gave me antibiotics. Since last summer the longest i have gone without feeling sick is 4 weeks! That now would be a dream to have 4 weeks of feeling better. In Feb/March time i was given Colpermin which helped to keep me regular and then i had 4 weeks of feeling ok! But then 3 weeks ago the sickness began and the doc once again asked for a urine sample!! This got sent to the lab as i was told they had found something and they gave me antibiotics. I ended up going to a&e at 1 point as the nausea was that bad i couldnt even hold a converstaion as speaking or doing anything made the sickness worse. At the hosp they tested my urine and said it was fine and there was no infection.
The next day was my friends wedding and i dont know how i managed to get through that day. My stomach ballooned up and my dress would hardly fit. I struggled to eat or drink 1 drink for th toast. The day after the nausea eased a little and then last week for 3 days i felt alot better. Then on Thursday out of the blue i began feeling nausea and shivering. My few days off work were spoilt due to feeling very sick and my belly ballooned. I then was actually sick and then had runny poo's. I was meant to be having a night away with my boyfriend and as we have had to cancel about 3 holidays, 2 family parties and the whole of xmas die to my nausea and stomach troubles i had to try and get through the 2 days away. It was hell!
My doctor has tried me on the following sickness tablets:
Cyclizine, Metoclopramide, motilium, domperidone, buccastem & also ondansetron which none have helped me. I have tried ginger also but this does nothing. The doc says they are to send me to have a camera look inside of me but im waiting for the appointment.
This is ruining my life, my job and my relationship as i can go days with feeling that sick i cant do anything. My other half is getting to the point he cant book a holiday for us as theres always a good chance i will get poorly and unable to fly or travel anywhere. Its cost me about £600 in cancelling trips, holidays in the last year.
I find the nausea the worst symptom i have as nausea can stop you from doing so much. I would love to find something to cure the nausea but the doc told me i have tried everything he can think of. So fed up :(
Wow, cant believe all that I am reading. I was diagnosed with IBS about 12 years ago and had a barium enema done, telling me I have tiny pockets in my stomach lining that can keep foodparticals and than turn into bacteria that can make me feel nausious.
I have been pretty good for years, but the last week I have been having a horrible stomach ache everytime I would eat something. And have a bloated stomach on top of it. I have been eating toast today and drinking water, but it seems to come on in the afernoons and not sure what to do about it. I tried today to start eating healthy to see if I can clean out my stomach. Ofcourse I do not know if this is my IBS flaring up, because I never hd the nausea with it, but now reading all of this I wonder if I should go to the doctor and see what she will say.
I am 27 years old and I was diagnosed with IBS about 13 years ago. Although nausea has been part of my life since I can remember, about 4 years ago I started having dizziness and nausea every day. Although I never throw up, it gets so bad that I also fear going out. Four years ago they told me that the nausea and dizziness was caused by my IBS so I started limiting my lactose and gluten consumption and this helped a little bit but what helped the most was Levosulpiride and Trimebutine. While I was taking these medications I was feeling really good like I never had before (I even thought, WOW this is how regular people feel!) no nausea, no dizziness! I then stopped taking the medication and the nausea returned. Then went back to the Dr. and they gave me Mebeverine instead of the Levosulpiride. Although it worked for a while, after some time of taking it, it stopped working. The Dr. then gave me an antibiotic called Rifaximine, since in the last years doctors believe most of IBS is caused by overgrowth of Bacteria in the small intestine and if given special antibiotics, a lot of people has even been cured. I took the antibiotic three weeks ago and I have been taking Trimebutine and Simeticone and it has not been working. I have been feeling worse than ever this past week and I am really desperate. I will be going back to the Dr. again next week and I hope they will give me again Levosulpiride and I will be able to feel good again. Maybe you guys could try the antibiotics or the Levosulpiride since this last one is the only medication that has helped me with the nausea (I have also tried Reglan and it worked for a while but it gave me anxiety as a side effect). Good luck to you all!
I heard about the antibiotic Rifaximine but am reluctant to try any more antibiotics.  My diagnosis is "post-infectious IBS" - basically over use of anti-biotics prescribed by negligent doctors and then a really bad stomach infection while traveling in India.  The result?  IBS symptoms for 9 months.  Like everyone else, I've done all the tests, however, I don't want to take any of the medications.  I've been trying to adjust with acupuncture, herbs and diet (but why o why do I have to give up my coffee?).  There was a period where I was feeling better but then stupidly went out and drank champagne.  How careless!!!!  That sent me back into a spiralling relapse.   This is has been an awful challenging year.  I developed anemia and other deficiencies because of mal-absorption.  My fatigue is crippling as well as constant stomach ache.  My acupuncturist seems so confident we'll get through this but I'm admittedly skeptical.

You are reading content posted in the Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Community