Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Antistrep O *** Test... What type of test is this???

I am not sure where I need to post this question.  I just had my blood work done and this test came back almost three times as high as the normal.  Can someone please tell me what this test is and what it is used for?  I am scared to death.  That something may be very wrong.  Thanks Susan..
Hi, this test is usually done to rule out conditions like endocarditis (heart muscle infection) or rheumatic fever (condition caused by autoimmune reaction to streptococcal bacteria affects joints, heart etc).

“ASO is an antibody generated in response to infection by a specific type of bacteria called Group A streptococci. A serious strep infection will cause ASO levels to rise significantly. Therefore, a physician may order an ASO test to determine whether the person has a condition (e.g., endocarditis or rheumatic fever) related to a serious strep infection.

The antistreptolysin-O (ASO) test is a blood test that measures levels of ASO in the blood. ASO is an antibody produced to fight streptolysin-O, an enzyme produced by a specific type of bacteria called Group A streptococci (“strep”). This bacteria is related to infections such as endocarditis and rheumatic fever.

High levels of ASO may remain in the blood for months following the onset of infection, even after the bacteria causing the infection have been eliminated”. Taken from website http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/antistreptolysin-o-test.html?pageNum=1

Relax and don’t worry much as this condtion can be treated with anti inflammatory drugs and antibiotics.
And also glomerulonephritis, a condition of inflammed part of kidneys due to stertococcal infections
Could this also mean that I have rheumatoid arthritis?  Thanks Susan
Hi, not exactly. Rheumatic arthritis is autoimmune disorder affecting joints, it is not necessary to have rheumatoid arthritis with rheumatic fever, though one may get joint pains during the attack but it does not come under rheumatoid arthritis which is a separated entity.

Please visit website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rheumatoid_arthritis for more information
Hi, not exactly. Rheumatic arthritis is autoimmune disorder affecting joints, it is not necessary to have rheumatoid arthritis with rheumatic fever, though one may get joint pains during the attack but it does not come under rheumatoid arthritis which is a separate entity.

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem