Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Can a CT Scan without contrast miss kidney problems? Not reaching a diagnosis.

I've had a constant, dull ache in my flank for nearly 6 weeks now. It came on rather suddenly, and I'm pretty sure it's not muscular. When it first began it was so painful that I went repeatedly to the doctors, who initially thought it was kidney stones, as there was a small amount of blood in my urine. I have had a kidney function blood test, which came back fine, a sample of urine was sent to the lab, which also came back fine, and I have also had a CT Scan, and again, I was told this was fine. This made everyone think that I had passed the stones.

I thought that would be the end of it, but 4 weeks later the pain in my kidney area is still constant, and I also get feelings of nausea, and dizziness (almost feeling like I've got low blood sugar). I have had a diabetes test, also fine. Now I am slightly worried that I have something more serious, especially since around the same time I was diagnosed with a varicocele in my left testicle. Now, since the pain isn't going, I'm thinking the worst, especially as there is a link between a varicocele and kidney cancer.

My question really,is could kidney cancer have slipped though the cracks of any of these tests? As my CT Scan was done without contrast. Just cannot think of any reason for this constant pain.

Also should mention:
No apparent sign of infection.
Whilst ultrasound was done on my testicles, my kidney was also briefly looked at, though as this wasn't the main issue, I don't know how thoroughly it would have been done.
Hi there,
A detailed history, examination and correlation of your test results are very important for ascertaining the correct cause and treatment of your condition. Infection and tumors always need contrast to be detected easily. Kidney pain could be due to several causes like kidney stones, UTIs, pyelonephritis, polycystic kidney disease or kidney cancer. Kidney cancers are rare and they can cause dull and constant pain which can help them distinguish with other causes of kidney pain .Spinal problems can also be mistaken for kidney pain. Any infection, inflammation or malignancy in the spine can cause severe back ache. These are only few possibilities. It is best to discuss your concerns and doubts with your treating doctor. Do keep me posted.
Best wishes and regards!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem