Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Gross hematuria and severe back pain?

I'm a 20-year-old female with no previous history of kidney problems. I have a family history of several different types of cancer, high blood pressure, diabetes, and nephritis. I have not been diagnosed with any of these diseases so far. I have recently quit smoking (about 8 months ago), and I am currently taking no medication, not even aspirin or birth control. I drink about 6-10 glasses of water per day, and 1-2 cups of coffee. I have about 2 alcoholic beverages once a week. I am not pregnant.

For the last 4 months, I have been experiencing gross hematuria with extreme lower back pain. Sometimes this is accompanied by a deep, chesty cough, as well. Often, the pain is so severe I cannot move or get out of bed for several hours. I was given antibiotics for a UTI, which had no effect. I had blood work, an X-ray, and a CT scan (without contrast), which all indicated that I do not have kidney stones. However, I have continued to suffer from the above-mentioned symptoms - about every 3 weeks, I experience one of these episodes 2 or 3 times a week, usually very early in the morning. I have been to 2 doctors, but neither of them have given me a particular diagnosis or an effective treatment, but both seemed fairly certain that it is kidney-related.

Am I overreacting? Could there be causes for these symptoms other than a UTI or kidney stones? I'm very concerned, and I would very much like to know what is wrong with me.
Thank you for your advice.

How are you?  Was there a previous trauma to the back? Or are you active in sports or exercise? Your CTscan result would rule out any musculoskeletal causes.  Your symptoms strongly points to a kidney pathology.

Additional tests such as blood and urine tests would help rule out other causes as well. Blood test would rule out sickle cell anemia,  a chronic shortage of red blood cells that may also present with  both gross and microscopic hematuria. While urinalysis and urine culture would help indicate the presence of infection. You may also have to see your gynecologist to rule out gynecological issues.

Take care and do keep us posted.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem