Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Is this a kidney disease?

I've posted before about my numerous kidney infections, and have really gotten no help through this forum- but I'm going to try one last time in hopes someone (preferrably a doctor) can help me.
Since I was little, I've gotten a ton of bladder & kidney infections. I never knew they were infections until I was 17 and I got a kidney infection that hurt so bad it sent me to the ER. I then found out I was  born with 3 kidneys. Since then, I have had recurring kidney infections on and off for the past 4 years (I am now 21). I don't smoke, I don't do drugs (other than the pain meds they give me), I don't drink alcohol. I am fairly active, I typically get enough sleep.. I have a 9-5 job as an administrative assistant, and I eat a fairly healthy diet. I'm about 5'7 and weigh about 145lbs. Other than my kidneys, I'm pretty healthy (except cysts quite often on my ovaries) and fairly normal. I lead a normal life.
In December 2006, I had urteter reimplantation because I had a lot of refluxing. I also had stents placed twice and removed. Up until a few months ago, I had figured the surgery was a success. I had no more infections (maybe a minor bladder infection here and there), no more pain. About 2 months ago, I thought I had a severe kidney infection.. it hurt so bad I was in bed for 3 days with the chills and a fever of 103.. finally went to the ER and they told me "you have no infection" and sent me home with tylenol. I was outraged that they would give me tylenol for the severe pain I was in. However, I went home, stayed in bed for a few days and just waited it out drinking my weight in water and cranberry juice.
About 3 weeks ago I was having the same intense pain again.. I went to the ER and they found a minor infection.. but kept me in the hospital for about a week.. running tests on me. I am very freaked out by hospitals, needles, doctors etc.. and while I was in the hospital I had 2 panic attacks.. the only panic/anxiety attacks I've ever had. I later read in the things the doctors wrote that my anxiety could be contributing to my pain.
I have a urology appointment on Tuesday but just to get a little insight.. could I possibly have some sort of kidney disease instead of just infections?

How are you? I'm sorry to hear what you've been through for the past years. The presence of an extra kidney which is not in the proper anatomical location may result to difficulty in draining. Up to 50 percent of ectopic kidneys are at least partially blocked. Over time, obstruction can lead to serious complications, including urinary tract infections, kidney stones and kidney failure. Ectopic kidneys are also associated with vesicoureteral reflux (VUR), a condition where urine backs up from the bladder through the ureters into the kidneys. Over time, this can lead to infections that also can destroy the kidney. It is important to discuss this with your urologist to better understand your condition. There are other people with the same condition as you are. It may also help to have a support group to help what you're going through. This link may be helpful: http://www.****************/I_have_3_kidneys__t81012.html

Take care and keep us posted with your urology appointment.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem