Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Kidney Nodule

After a renal ultrasound I was told they found a nodule on my right kidney.  My Dr ordered a CAT Scan.  They said they found a nodule on the right kidney & a fatty liver.  My Dr said not to worry & have another ultrasound in 3 months to see if the nodule is getting bigger & asked me if I wanted a MRI to check on the fatty liver.  Shouldn't he know whether that is needed?  What are the risks of a fatty liver...is there a treatment or something that should be done?  And is the nodule something to worry about now or is the 3 month delay also common?
Hello there,
A complete medical history and clinical evaluation is necessary for determining the exact cause of your symptoms. The possible causes of renal mass or nodule are renal abscess, renal cysts, Angiomyolipoma which are benign non cancer tumors of the kidney, renal lymphoma or renal cancer. Investigations like CT and FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) can help in diagnosis. In case of benign nodules no active treatment is necessary and you should be under observation and monitoring at regular intervals. Consult a Urologist for further evaluation and management. In fatty liver there is fat in the liver, along with inflammation and damage. You should refrain from taking alcohol, as this will cause further injury to the liver. Fatty liver due to alcoholism is called Alcoholic fatty liver disease and the other one is Non alcoholic fatty liver disease, which is due to obesity, diabetes and high triglyceride levels. If this condition progresses it can lead to cirrhosis of the liver and can be associated with hepatocellular carcinoma. So avoid alcohol and treat diabetes, obesity and high triglyceride levels if present. Adopt lifestyle changes like weight reduction, exercise etc.Consult your doctor for more queries and assistance. I hope it helps.
Best wishes and kind regards!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem