Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Kidney Stones 9-12 inches both kidneys

I am 42 years old and have Crohn's disease, diagnosed in 1998, and am wondering if the kidney stones I am having, could be a result of of something more serious going on. I have had a 9mm kidney stone removed with a basket extraction, in April 2008, from my left ureteral and a 10-12mm stone crushed, in May 2008. My x-rays, a year ago, showed that I have multiple renal calculi. I have been under a urologist care for a year. He did tests to see what kind of stones I had and the lab results showed that they were 90%  hydroxy-and/or carbonate apatite and 10% calcium oxalate monohydrate. He said this was not the stone that he was expecting. He did a 24hr urine and blood test and tested calcium, oxalates, uric acid, citric acid, phospherous, Bun, and creatinine. He said that all of the results were in normal range.

I asked him if there was anything I could do to prevent more stones and he said just increase my fluid intake. I am starting to have problems again with my kidneys and was wondering if I may need to see a specialist this time for more test or is this something I will have to live with.

I also had to have my gallbladder removed in May of 2009 because it was diseased but it had no stones.
My stones are the opposite of yours and 90% calcium oxalate ... I limit my calcium and oxalate intake and my Uro suggested Magnesium or Urocit-K but that may be because they are calcium based....not sure ... but worth asking your specialist about.  I could not take the URocit K due to awful side effects but it really does help many people from what I've heard if you don't get the GI upset from it.  It's a prescription.

My gallbladder has documented stones but quiet now for 2 yrs .. shhhhhhhhh

My 17yr old had her diseased, dysfunctional GB out last year and lost 50lbs in the process and is so healthy now!!!!

C~
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem