Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Kidney stones

I am having a lithroscopy to break up kidney stones a stent may have to be put in place in order that the stones can pass. I have read and heard how uncomfortable this can be and are there other options to having a stent put in place.
The Yog Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help dissolve the kidney stones.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Do the pranayam seriously with concentration and allow 4 weeks for the stones to break and come out in urine.
How big is the stone? I have never heard of the above method for stones lol. Anyway the stent may not bother you at all. The best thing I have found for the stent pain is lots of water also ask the doc for some Pryidum if it hurts. Best luck... Cara
Hi Imperial. I had a kidney stent about 5 years ago and mine was uncomfortable for about a day. The worst part was when they removed it. It really hurt, but it was fast.  good luck
i get uretal stents 3-4 times a year and for months at a time and i have found mega amounts of water really help the comfort of the stent. the reason why is cause if u don't drink enough, the tube becomes dry and irritated so if its saturated in fluid it really helps. good luck.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem