Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Low Blood Pressure, Kidney pain

I have had low blood pressure since I took Sulfamethoxazole for 5 and a half days in June or July. My blood pressure recently has also been going high briefly (136 over 80), then returning to the usual low (around 96 over 60 something). In the last week I have developed pain in my lower back, mostly on the right side, pain and swelling under my right ribs, swelling on lower right abdomen when lying down, pain in between my shoulder blades, and occassional headache behind my right eye. When I try to take vitamins my bloodpressure goes to 150 over 110 until i drink lots of water then it goes back down. When I eat some foods the swelling under my rib cage seems worse for a while. I can't sleep on my right side without feeling pain like I'm crushing organs.

What could this be? Could I have kidney stones, and/or gallstones?
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Sulfamethoxazole and blood pressure are not related. Fluctuations in blood pressure can occur. If persistently elevated it needs therapy. Did you mean you have pain in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen? If the pain is due to a problem from the liver like hepatitis, you should have associated symptoms like nausea and vomiting. Are you an alcoholic?

The pain could be from the gall bladder too. It could be if there is a stone in the gall bladder or if its wall is inflamed.

For ruling out the possible cause of your pain, you will have to consult a General Physician, who would examine you and advise blood tests for liver function tests and maybe to do an abdominal ultrasonography to rule out hepatic enlargement or any stones in the gall bladder.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem