Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Lower Back Pain around kidneys

Two months ago, I went on a version of the South Beach or old Atkins diet.  Mostly protein, little or no carbs.  I have lost 10 lbs and until this week, my blood sugar levels appeared to be dropping.  I have type 2 Diabetes controlled with diet and glucovance medication.  I do little or no exercise.  Last Thursday I started feeling tired and my lower back, near my kidneys on both sides hur from the inside.  I took tylenol and it helped control the pain, somewhat.  Friday I ran a fever of 99 and Saturday it went as high as 101, with me resting all day, no work, didn't go anywhere, except drugstore for more tylenol. I was still eating mostly protein...steak, green beans, hamburgers no buns, lettuce and tomatoes.  The pain seemed to go away on Sunday, but 3 hours at work (desk job), the pain returned full blown.  Called to try and see my doctor, but I go to a city health clinic, so it was the following morning before I could see anyone, then only a nurse practitioner.  Far be it from me to put down anyone, but she had to be all of 25 and she said I was suffering from a muscle skeletol problem, probably just "old age".  She's very luck to still be walking, because I wanted to flatten her, right on the spot.  The previous night I spent awake and crying, because the tylenol didn't help the pain.  I was angry, tired and worried.  I had no infection, no fever and no elevated white blood cell count, the urine specimen appeared to be okay. They sent it off to have a culture done on it, but it looked okay to the clinic staff.  I have no pain when urinating, I have no naseau or vomitting or diarhea.  Other than the pain that feels like it is way inside of me and radiating out, that's my only sympton.  This morning I woke up and I felt 100% better.  The only thing I changed was the fact that I started eating more carbs, which I had previously eleminated from my diet.
Has anyone heard of such pain,do you know what causes it, and am I going to have it forever, or is it a one time thing?
Any suggestions would be helpful.  I don't know where to turn for help. eva
Who knows your body better then u????U know how much pain u r in & I go through the same thing @ times & they tell me muscle pain but seeing as I have had kidney infections since I was 16 & stones almost monthly since I was 25 & I am now 30!!!!!w/ a dilated kidney so somethings wrong just cause they can't c the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist I had fevers as high as 104.9 blood in urine chills 1 day & the next day perfectly normal & sometimes my tests even came back normal when obviously something wasn't & then I had them start off telling me it was muscle strain & it turned out kidney stone  so don't listen 2 that if u don't feel well seek another dr could also b a diet that causes it I know Alli causes kidney stones & also somethings we eat & drink can cause em as well so feel better & hope this doesn't happen 2 u again r u find a dr that can tell u
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem