Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Rising creatinine

My husband was hospitalized four days ago after presenting to the ER with very high blood pressure (220/120 range). He had previously been diagnosed with CKD stage 2. At the time he was admitted, his creatinine level was 3.3. It has increased daily, with levels at 3.3, 3.6, 3.8 and today 4.0. His other vitals have stabilized (glucose, bp). Before he came in, he had been on lisinopril/hctz for probably about a year or so. When he was admitted, one of the doctors stopped the combo drug and put him on lisinopril by itself twice a day. The nephrologist seeing him here stopped the Lisinopril and another drug yesterday after his morning dose. Another blood test was taken about midnight or 1 a.m. today and that's when they got the 4.0 level. The nephrologist wants to keep him here to figure out why the creatinine is rising. His GFR is currently in the low 20s.

I'm scared to death for him. Could this rise be temporary and a result of his body stability? Could this be an unstoppable progression to end-stage renal failure? I looked at his previous numbers over the past few years and he has definite fluctuations. His highest creatinine level prior to this was 2.9 three years ago, where he saw increases in a month's time from 1.22 to 2.2 to 2.5 to 2.9 and back down to as low as 1.39 in July 2013, so he has had big fluctuations in the past. I do not have access to information from 2013 to now.

FYI, he's 33, was an undiagnosed, untreated diabetic for a long time prior to 2012 and also suffers from sleep apnea. This is obviously a huge wake up call for him, so please do not judge him. I would just like some help.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem