Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

Swollen Right kidney

A sonogram showed my right kidney swollen. Sonogram was ordered due to an abnormal HIDA scan. I see my Dr tomorrow, but what does that mean? Just want hear experiences or advice in the meantime! Thanks!

The kidneys may be affected by inflammation, infection, obstruction, structural defects, injuries, tumors and stone formation. There are numerous causes for a swollen kidney such as urinary tract infection and kidney stones. A complete medical history, physical examination and some laboratory tests are needed to determine the underlying cause.

Are there other signs or symptoms present? HIDA scan is an imaging procedure that evaluates the production and flow of bile from your liver to your small intestine. This may help in the diagnosis of several diseases and conditions, such as: bile duct obstruction, bile leakage, congenital abnormalities in the bile ducts, gallbladder inflammation or gallstones.

Take care and do update us on your appointment tomorrow.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem