Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

When will I start to pass kidney stones?

Found out last night that I have kidney stones. Got a CT scan done today... find out the results in a few days.

-Sharp pains shoot through my back for the last two weeks, maybe once-twice a day.
-Last 2 days I have had a constant, dull/aching pain on my right side where my kidney is located.
-Bit of tolerable cramping last few days.

When can I expect to pass the stone? How long does it take for a stone to leave the body? During one time urinating or does it take a day?

Can you give me any helpful info?! All I know is to go to the ER if I have a lot of bloog in my urine or if I can pee. What else should I know?

Thank you!
About 90% of stones 4 mm or less in size usually will pass spontaneously.In most cases, a smaller stone that is not symptomatic is often given up to four weeks to move or pass before consideration is given to any surgical intervention as it has been found that waiting longer tends to lead to additional complications.
There are various measures that can be used to encourage the passage of a stone. These can include increased hydration i.e. drinking 1-2 litres of water a day.This helps in easier passage of the stones.
If pain is severe, which it usually is , get prescription pain medications for the same.Some doctors will give patients with recurring passing of small stones a small supply prescription for hydrocodone to avoid a future visit to the ER when the next episode occurs. Taken at the first sign of pain, hydrocodone can eliminate much of the acute pain, nausea and vomiting which necessitates the hospital visit and still facilitate stone passage, although a follow-up with a physician is still necessary.
ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_stone
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem