Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

calcium deposits, blood in urine and flank pain

So..I'm learning a lot here. I'm in the beginning stages of getting a diagnosis. But I'm starting to wonder "WHAT ON EARTH" is going on. I have limited health insurance so if my internist (the only doctor PRN medicaid will pay for) is suspecting a kidney problem because of:

1) pain in right flank that comes in episodes. Sometimes the pain is so extreme that it keeps me up at night and I can't lie down on either side or my back without crying. At other times the pain is nonexistent or dull in nature;

2) large amounts of blood in urine that comes in episodes. Sometimes it's gross hematuria to the extent that my urine is cola colored but often times it's macroscopic or looks like tiny clumps of blood in the urine.

3) Blood from urethra: It only happened once but it was blood that happened for three days straight. Hasn't happened since then in a period of two weeks time; and

4) Calcium deposits on my kidney.

I have no idea about protein levels but there is no infection seen at this time and hasn't been for two weeks that the symptoms have been occurring. I'm having a metabolic panel on Monday that will also check creatine/Bun ratios and inflammation markers. Does anyone have any idea of what we could be looking at. My internist suspects a variety of kidney disorders and I've only had one visit.

I'm confused that the pain can be intolerable for days on end and then suddenly disappear or go to a low roar. Help!

THANKS,
Pamela F
Hello and hope you are doing well.
A complete medical evaluation is necessary for correct diagnosis and management of your condition. Few common conditions which can cause calcium in urine are kidney stones and hyperparathyroidism. The common signs and symptoms seen with kidney stones are excess calcium in the urine, severe one-sided back, flank, abdominal and groin pain, pain when urinating, blood in the urine, nausea and vomiting, an unrelenting urge to urinate and, in few cases, fever and chills. In hyperparathyroidism there is hypercalciuria, frequent urination, bone pain, joint pain and loss of appetite. A complete evaluation and tests like blood urea, creatinine, urine examination and ultrasound kidney may be helpful for determining the exact cause. Management will depend on the cause. Consult a Urologist for further evaluation and management.
Best luck and regards!
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem