Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

medications after urinary re inplantation

i would like to know whether any of these drugs would be safe to take after a urinary re implantation. i had 2 holes one in each kidney that was patched up and the adjoining tubing was replaced. this was at leats 15 years ago which was sucesfull however i get bothered with a irratible bladder that causes me to have problems i was prescribed medication by a consultant but found it unhelpfull so stopped. however i usually am carefull as to what i take as it seems that if i drink alchol i get really bad pains for days and ph goes up. i cant take nsaids,dihydrocodein and some other medications including diuretics as they all seem to cause me kidney pain. the last tests shwed that my kidneys were ok. however i am having problems with my heart rate and  am in process getting a POTS diagnosis.and these were the drugs that the dr was saying they can use to help however i am worried a to the effect they have on my kidneys and wondered if anyone has any advice.
DDAVP (Desmopressin)
Florinef (Fludrocortisone)
ergotamine, midodrine, octreotide,
Increasing salt

"DDAVP Tablets are contraindicated in individuals with known hypersensitivity to desmopressin acetate or to any of the components of DDAVP Tablets.

DDAVP is contraindicated in patients with moderate to severe renal impairment (defined as a creatinine clearance below 50ml/min).

DDAVP is contraindicated in patients with hyponatremia or a history of hyponatremia."
www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/desmoprt.htm

"Fludrocortisone acetate tablets (corticosteroids) are contraindicated in patients with systemic fungal infections and in those with a history of possible or known hypersensitivity to these agents."

"Corticosteroids may mask some signs of infection, and new infections may appear during their use. There may be decreased resistance and inability to localize infection when corticosteroids are used. If an infection occurs during Fludrocortisone acetate therapy, it should be promptly controlled by suitable antimicrobial therapy.

Prolonged use of corticosteroids may produce posterior subcapsular cataracts, glaucoma with possible damage to the optic nerves, and may enhance the establishment of secondary ocular infections due to fungi or viruses.

Average and large doses of hydrocortisone or cortisone can cause elevation of blood pressure, salt and water retention, and increased excretion of potassium. These effects are less likely to occur with the synthetic derivatives except when used in large doses. However, since Fludrocortisone acetate is a potent mineralocorticoid, both the dosage and salt intake should be carefully monitored in order to avoid the development of hypertension, edema, or weight gain. Periodic checking of serum electrolyte levels is advisable during prolonged therapy; dietary salt restriction and potassium supplementation may be necessary. All corticosteroids increase calcium excretion."

www.drugs.com/pro/fludrocortisone.html

"Do not take caffeine and ergotamine without first talking to your doctor if you have:

peripheral vascular disease or poor circulation;
arteriosclerosis or "hardening of the arteries";
high blood pressure;
heart disease;
liver disease;
kidney disease; or
  a serious infection.

You may not be able to take caffeine and ergotamine, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above."
www.drugs.com/mtm/caffeine-and-ergotamine.html

"Before using octreotide, tell your doctor if you have:
diabetes;
gallbladder disease;
heart disease;
thyroid problems;
pancreatitis;
kidney disease; or
liver disease.

If you have any of the conditions listed above, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use octreotide."
http://www.drugs.com/mtm/octreotide-injectable.html

"Do NOT use Midodrine if:

* you are allergic to any ingredient in Midodrine
    * you have severe heart disease, active kidney disease, an adrenal gland tumor (pheochromocytoma), or high thyroid hormone blood levels (thyrotoxicosis), or you are unable to urinate
    * you have persistent or severe high blood pressure while lying down

Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you."
www.drugs.com/cdi/midodrine.html

All the above drugs are to be used with caution in individuals with active renal disease or impaired renal function.

If you have no significant impairment of renal function, you can take these medication given that you discuss frequent follow-ups for renal evaluation with your physician.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards

thankyou for all the information . it way passed my expectations.  i will discuss all this information with my consultant before it is decided what they are wanting to put me on. thanks lisa.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem