Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
4.26k Members
Avatar universal

my right side kidney hurt

I am a 23yr old female and  for some reason my right  kidney hurts everytime i have  sex, and it has been happening for the past  week. I just want to know what might be some reasons this is occuring?
6 Responses
Avatar universal

There are several differentials for pain that occurs during sexual activity specifically during sexual intercourse. One needs to rule out an underlying gynecologic involvement. I suggest that you seek consult with your gynecologist so that a complete pelvic examination may be done. A pap smear and transvaginal or pelvic ultrasound may help visualize the ovaries and the uterus.

Are there any associated problems with the menstrual cycle?

Any spotting or profuse menstrual bleed?

To rule out an underlying urologic disease, I suggest that you have a urinalysis done to rule out an underlying infection. BUN and creatinine levels as well as a KUB or kidney ,ureter and bladder ultrasound may be able to help.

A muculoskeletal or arthritic pain may also be a differential. If you are currently spending prolonged hours sitting down or when lying down position at night offers some discomfort then this may be musculoskeletal in origin.

The pelvic examination and urinalysis may be necessary to rule out underlying involvement of the said structures before considering that the pain is musculoskeletal in origin.

Avatar universal
My right side kidney is hurting for a few hours a day. Specially when i sit back and relax. My menstrual cylcle is all messed up and i just want to know maybe what couls be wrong with me ?
Avatar universal
Hi i'm a 14 yr. old guy and my right kidney is hurting. i don't know why, but in other reports i read they say that their kidney(s) would hurt a lot for a long time (10-20 yrs. or so). mine doesn't hurt as bad as other people describe it but it does bother me. normally i think it is because i dont have enough water or something but i drink water about 3-5 times a day. passing urine isn't pain full or any trouble at all. the thing is the pain just annoys me. It would hurt for a few seconds wouldn't hurt for about 5-15 or 20 seconds then a fresh wave of pain overcomes my side. should there be any way so i can stop my pain. is it something like kidney stones or a kidney infection or am i too young to get those or i just don't have it. is it something completely different or what. all i would like to do is stop the pain i will take any reasonable answers. thanks!
Avatar universal
Do you have noticeable blood in your urine?  Fever?  Pain that travels around the side to the front, or testicular pain?  It's possible that your pain could be from a kidney stone (even young children get them), but there are other things possible as well.  Best to have a doctor further evaluate, so as to avoid any problems.  If the pain truly is from the kidney, you should at least have your urine checked to help figure out what's wrong.
3054204 tn?1340298832
i am a 22 year old female with no health insurance i have been to the hospital several times and they always give me the same answer without even running any tests, i have recurring kidney pain that started when i was 12 or 13 years old everytime i go into the hospital they are always quick to diagnose me with a kidney infection and hand me an antibiotic and give me a list of ways to prevent it, i have been following their preventative measures very thoroughly and yet the pain still comes back and now more often then before, can you help please?
Avatar universal
You've attached your post to one that is from 2008. You may have better responses if you use the "Post a Question" button.

Could you go into a walk-in clinic? The doctors there could send you for urine, and blood tests. Probably cheaper than going to the hospital. Then at least you know what you are looking at. My nephrologist  (kidney doctor) runs a CBC, Renal Panel (Lytes, Urea, Creatinine), Liver Panel, Calcium, Phosphorus, Protein, Albumin and Uric acid for blood tests, and he runs a Urinalysis, Micro/Alb/Creat Ratio, and a 24 hour urine that measures protein, creatinine, and creatinine clearance. The nice thing is you don't have to fast for any of those tests.

I am in Canada and we have public health care so it is possible that the doctor runs more tests than is essentail. For example a 24 hour urine is best, but they can test without it, it just isn't as reliable or accurate.

You may want to try the kidney diet to see if lightening the load on your kidneys helps with the pain. (low salt, low potasium, low phosphorus) I don't know if it will work, but it won't hurt. Also be careful what you take for pain. NSAIDS - Advil, Aleve, naproxen, etc. are very hard on the kidneys. Too much tylenol is hard on the liver. Using things like heat or ice is best. Thermocare heat wraps are awesome. A bit expensive but if you keep your eyes out they often go on a good sale.

Even if you have to borrow the money, I'd go and get the blood work done. At least then you'll know if it is kidney issues. Good luck.

Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem