Kidney Disease & Disorders Community

possible kidney infection

My BF has been having burning urination, not all the time, but only sometimes when he goes to the bathroom. I have just been tested negative for Clamydia and Gonnorhea so I don't think that a STI is the casue. Do you think it may be a Kidney or bladder infection?

Aside from the burning sensation, are there other signs or symptoms present? Urinary tract infection (UTI) may involve the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra. This usually presents with:  strong, persistent urge to urinate; passing frequent, small amounts of urine; blood in the urine or cloudy, strong-smelling urine.

The presence of flank pain or fever usually points to a kidney infection. While lower abdomen discomfort, fever, and frequent, painful urination are the more specific symptoms of bladder infection. If there are no other signs present in your boyfriend, he may have infection in the urethra or urethritis, since this usually presents with burning sensation during urination. It would be best for him to see a doctor to rule out other causes such as kidney stones or prostatitis. Diagnosis is through urinalysis and treatment of UTI is antibiotics. Drinking plenty of fluids and urinating frequently may also help. Take care and keep us posted.
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem