Kidney Stones Community
412 Members

A missed kidney stone during surgery

I have recently had a large kidney stone removed (67mm) by surgery. I was in hospital for 5 days after surgery and then during the first follow up appointment about 10 days after surgery they discovered that I still had a 12mm stone in the same kidney. The stone showed up on X-ray but not on Ultra-sound and then showed clearly on a CT Scan.
They are now saying that I need to have it removed by laser lithotripsy. Firstly, it seems a little soon to go through with this so soon after surgery as I'm still quite swollen (now 35 days after surgery). And of course I want to know how could they have missed a 12mm stone in the first instance when it could have been removed during the surgery removal of the 67mm stone.

to summarise:
1. How did they miss the 12mm stone.
2. is it now safe to have the laser lithotripsy to remove the 12mm stone while I'm still swollen.
Hi Darren. In muy case they opened me to remove a 42mm x 35mm stone, they said they could not "locate" the stone and they ended up cutting out my entire kidney.

Later I learned that somehow it is not that easy as we would assume to open the kidney and look for stones inside. Plus 2 weeks after my surgery I was producing stones and sand in my kidney (the only one left).

It is too soon for any type of surgery and I would not think you are ready for that.