Kidney Stones Community
415 Members

Born with a single kidney

What risks do I face with having a kidney stone since I am living with only one? Also is it common to have testicular pain with this condition?
This condition is called renal dysplasia. Most people live healthy normal lives and they discover that they have one kidney accidentally when getting investigated for some other unrelated problem. Over long periods of time there may be some changes like development of high blood pressure, proteinuria and reduced GFR.Even with these conditions a person can feel normal. Regular checkups with your doctor in the form of yearly testing of blood and urine and frequent follow ups for recording blood pressure may be needed. Take care of your diet. Avoid high protein diet, foods rich in sodium and take a nutritious diet. Doctors, parents, and patients should consider the risks of any sports activity and decide whether the benefits outweigh those risks to avoid trauma or serious damage to your kidney. Do write to me with more queries.
Take care and regards!