Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

Is the kidney stone surgery is two day surgery process?

I am a 28 year old male. I have kidney stone 5cm long and UTI. I was given antibiotics for 3/4 days, admitted to hospital for a surgery to put a tube in. I was scheduled to have another surgery for removing kidney stone the day after the first surgery. But due to infection and various complication the surgery is postponed.My questions are do doctors generally perform two day surgeries to remove kidney stone and if the infection should have been treated before going in for surgery?
There are different types of kidney stone treatments, including shock wave lithotripsy, ureteroscopy, percutaneous nephrolithotomy or percutaneous nephrolithotripsy, and open surgery, each with different procedure and recovery times. For more info: https://www.webmd.com/kidney-stones/surgery-for-kidney-stone
Hello gopal, welcome to the forum.  This was no way to spend the holidays, was it?  Sorry you have this situation and am sure it has been difficult.  Every patient is different and has a unique situation.  As Chin_C says, there are different ways of treating kidney stones and you had a complex issue of infection on top of it. The tube placement is called nephrostomy.  Here is some information on that.https://emedicine.medscape.com/article/445893-treatment  Antibiotics are normally given at the same time.  Normally when a tube is placed like this before surgery to remove the stone, it is to done so to help with blockage caused by the stone.  It is not uncommon to manage the situation in this manner.  How are you now? What is your next step?