Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

Kidney Stones and Pregnancy

I am 21 weeks pregnant and went to the hospital a few days ago in severe pain.  Ultrasound revealed that I had water around my kidney and a blockage, which was caused by a kidney stone.   I was given an epidural and a stent was inserted, which alleviated my immediate pain.  I am now home, and the stent is very uncomfortable; I cannot do any activities because of the pinching and aching it is causing me. I was not given any pain medication or was even told what to expect. I do not have a follow up until two weeks from today...I know that the doctor did not surgically remove the stone, as I was awake when he found it and said he would not remove it. He went around it.  He also said that the stent would most likely be left in the remainder of my pregnancy.  My question is: is this really necessary, and are there any other treatments available?  I cannot have this stent stay in until I deliver in December.  I cannot function, and it hurts.  Any advice would be helpful.
I am sorry for what you went through.  Wish I had been on last year when you posted this, not that I could've helped, just that I know how horrible you felt.  I can't believe they didn't give you any pain meds!! I was given percocet, demerol, & mepergan fortis which I was of course hesitant to take bc of the baby (my now 8 yo son), but the doc said being in extreme pain was way worse for him and me than taking the pills.  I had stents in both of my kidneys in both of my pregnancies (2001) and (2006).  At least they knew it was a stone for you, I was blown off for a while because they didn't find a stone (which is what they originally thought), and left to be in pain while they told me "pregnancy causes back pain" like I was just a whiner or something lol.  Turned out my kidneys were blocked, still don't have an explanation as to why except that the ureters, they believed, were getting pinched.  In 2006 they had to give me a "percutaneous nephrostomy tube" in my left kidney (ie stick a nasty tube through my back, blech!)  Please let me know how everything turned out for you.  I am nervous about ttc with my new hb because I don't want to go thorugh that again!
I am not sure if you still check this but I was wondering if you could help. My daughter is 26 weeks preg. and they recently found a stone.  She is in horrible pain and is taking percoset, and tylenol 3 and a muscle relaxer.  She doesnt want to keep taking the meds because she is worried it will effect the baby, but she is just misserable with pain.  Her kidney stone is 5 to 6 mm and is 95% of the way out of her ureter, but they only gave her a 50/50 chances of passing it.  They are strongly recommending the stent surgery but she is scared of the ansthesia effects also.  She was also told that she would be more uncomfortable with the stent in.  (they didnt leave us very good choices) and that she would more than likely have to take meds. anyway.  I have been researching for the past week and came across a procedure called a Ureteroscope where they do it right in the doc. office and its pain free just pressure, have you ever heard of this and why wasnt this one of the options they gave us?  If you have any advice please send it to me I will keep checking and or keep updating her condition.