A
A
A
Close
Kidney Stones Community
417 Members
1223946 tn?1281395958

Kidney Stones

I had WLS Roux En Y in Sept 2006. It was very sucessful and had no problems, I had a wonderful surgeon (Zografakis) in N/E Ohio, and I followed my eating regime to the letter!  Best thing I ever did to improve my health. My weight gain was from long term prednisone for Nephrotic Syndrome I had 3 episodes in the last 5 yrs and although I'd lose 80% of weight the residual 20% compounded and I just couldn't lose all of it, after discussion with my surgeon he  agreed (I was the smallest patient he'd operated on) depending on my pre-surgical test results...Sept 06 I had my surgery, by March 07 I was to begin the nightmare of frequent stone forming!  To date I've had 5 stones I can't pass them as they get stuck  I've undergone removal by scopes/ laser and basket removal.  I researched this and discovered a number of patients to have a higher risk of malabsorption of oxalate. What can I do to stop this occuring. I follow the rules drinking plenty of water 2 ltrs a day which is hard when you've got a small stomach!  Avoiding foods high in oxalate, etc. (protein foods is one of the food groups) which I can't avoid.  It seems the 5th remaining 10mm stone is totally unreachable with a scope as it is located in the mid pole deep in the kidney tissue where a scope can't reach so I'm facing either a lifetime of pain which I have most days or PCNL which my surgeon is reviewing. I have never regretted my choice for WLS, but I think the medical profession need to inform patients when discussing risks and benefits, the possibility of developing stones and the consequences. Worst pain in the world bar none, and I'm a mother of 3 babies, lol!
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.