Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

Kidney stones

I have just had treatment for kidney stones -- the stone is too large to pass and it is  translucent.  Efforts to enter the kidney  from the back and remove it failed as I was told the surgeon and the radiologist could not see the stone at the same time. I was released and thy have a drain tube on my kidney.  I am to return in one week.  What procedures might they be considering to remove the stone.
Surgery is usually indicated when the kidney stone is very large, caused by an infection, blocking the flow of urine out of the kidney, or causing other problems like severe bleeding. During nephrolithotripsy, the surgeon makes a small cut in the back and a hollow tube is placed in the kidney and either removes or breaks up and removes  the stone.  It is best that you discuss the management plan with your attending physician. Take care and do keep us posted.