A
A
A
Close
Kidney Stones Community
412 Members
2081455 tn?1332179587

Laser Kidney Stone Removal and continuing Pain Months Later

I am a 27 year old female. I don't drink and I don't smoke. I have been passing kidney stones since 2006. I recently saw a Urologist in November of 2011. I was told I had 2 large stones in my left kidney and a few small ones in my right kidney. I went to the Urologist because I had been experiencing terrible pain in my left kidney. In December I had my left kidney cleaned out by laser through the urethra. It took over 3 weeks to recover and it was the most terrible pain I have ever felt. They did not put a stent in. I then had my right kidney done 3 weeks later. I recovered in a day. No pain.

After about 4 weeks of having the kidney stone removal surgery my left kidney began to hurt again. Since the surgery I have felt a dull constant pain and I can feel my kidney throbbing/pulsating. It feels like a muscle spasm in my left kidney. Again the recovery from the left side stone removal was horrific and the pain is back. Today I am now experiencing the a more painful type of pain in my left kidney. As if I have a back injury, but again only my left kidney hurts. I have also caught bronchitis and this is also making me feel worse.

Has anyone experienced this? Could it be scar tissue causing the pain?

I am forced to see a Urologist at a county hospital because I don't have insurance. I made an appointment over a month ago and I went to the appointment. I waited 4 hours and still didn't see a doctor. I had to leave due to picking up my kids. So, I didn't get to see the Urologist. Should I just wait this out? Should I go to the Emergency room? I feel lost and tired of the same thing with my left kidney. What is the deal?

Thanks for listening.
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament.

But the pain could be due to recurrence of stone formation or it could be due to stricture from the previous procedure. The obstruction can cause pain as the urine tries to push through. Only a proper assessment with a urine analysis, ultrasonography and kidney function tests can help to diagnose the cause and therapy is based on this. In the meantime follow preventive measures to prevent stone formation.

Dietary changes may help prevent kidney stone formation if you are prone for it. Prevention strategies for kidney stones include - Increasing your daily fluid intake and taking the recommended daily allowance of calcium. Increase your fluid intake to the point where your urine volume reaches 2.5 litres a day. This may mean drinking up to 3 litres a day, if you live in a hot, dry climate or if you are involved in strenuous physical activity. Increasing urine volume decreases the concentration of minerals in the urine. This makes it less likely that a stone will form. Also, frequent voiding and drinking plenty of water can help prevent urinary tract infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.