Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

My experience of kidney stone and how to prevent myself for future stones?

One night while my stay at office I had the tragedy. I was trying to sleep inside sleeping bag. I started feeling some uncomfort in my spinal area. I stood up and then set for a while on chair. I started feeling pain in back and felt like going to loo. I passed my stools but with lots of sweating and pain. I looked me in mirror and saw my self sweating and felt like vomiting and severe heaviness in chest. I rushed to the room and set for a while but no improvement. It was 2'oclock night. I asked help to one of my colleague and was taken to nearby hospital. They given me painkillers and pain subsided and got the discharge. At home pain started again but this time on right kidney side and I had another visit to hospital. The ultrasound report detected a 3mm stone and I was admitted in hospital. After CT scan, Intravenous pyelogram and X-rays, it was found that a stone was 4.5 mm which stuck in ureter on right side. I was operated by uteroscopy with laser lithotripsy. The doctor had put the stent and discharged me to home with medications. The stone was made up of Calcium oxalate (90%) along with urate and cystine. I further visited hospitals for routine checkups. I had my stent removed after 4 weeks of operation. The doctor advised me to drink plenty of fluids and have some dietary restrictions. I was discharged with antibiotics, painkillers and anti-oxalate medicines. So it was my experience of kidney stone. An unexpected tragedy :-(. I am looking to have recommended lifestyle. But still how would I save myself to have such horrible tragedies? as kidney stones can develop further involving a genetic risk.
ankit09,

I would take all necessary precautions that I could, diet and lifestyle wise, to help you not to have another stone, HOWEVER, it has been my experience in all these years of having these stones that once your body starts making these darn things there's not much you can do to completely prevent additional stones from forming. Drugs like FloMax definitely help, and have helped me in the last 3 years to pass any stones I may have formed without  problems but most of the rest of the remedies you hear about are "luck based" and you will still form a stone every now and then. That's my experience anyway. Good Luck.