Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

Stones and Birth Control

I'm 38 and have been diagnosed with oxilate stones/sponge kidney. I was told years ago that some birth control options could actually make it worse. I have managed to adjust my diet but I desperately need to figure out a birth control that will not make it worse. I've been told the same about antibiotics. Can you recommend a birth control and antibiotic that is ok to take? I don't smoke, don't plan on anymore children and have no allergies to medications.
How are you? Indeed, some medications may contribute to the formation of kidney stones. However, other risk factors such as dehydration, certain diet, obesity, digestive conditions, history of surgery,  family history, urinary tract infection may also be significant. Natural birth control methods such as rhythm or calendar method, basal temperature and cervical types may be considered. It is best that you talk to your doctor about this for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
My doctor has told me to do some research and tell her what I want to go with. She was going to do the same, but that was about a month ago.  I was taking LOW-OGESTREL and they seemed to be fine. I just stopped taking them in October in fear I was damaging my kidneys further. Is that one, in particular damaging? Because otherwise, it was great and I've been on it for years.