Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

TURP for kidney stones

I had to visit the emergency room about a week ago with a stone blocking the flow of urine from my bladder.  I often have stones and pass them with little difficulty, but this one got stuck, and I had to have a catheter inserted. I do not normally have a problem passing urine. The doctor started me on Flomax, but after four days I had to stop.  I was dizzy, disoriented, and my vision blurred.  Even walking was difficult.  My doctor says that my stone problem is due to insufficient emptying of the bladder although, to my knowledge, either from x-ray or my feeling their passage, the stones have originated in my kidneys.  He is advising me to have a procedure called a TURP, which sounds pretty unpleasant.  I do not have a problem with UTI's and he claims that the Green Laser treatment is inferior to TURP.  Either one seems to be a rather radical option for a condition that, if indeed I have it, causes me little trouble.  I would rather deal with the occasional stone (two or three a year) than run the risk, which is not negligible, of incontinence or sexual dysfunction.  I will, of course, seek a second opinion (maybe a third) before deciding on this surgery, but I am wondering if TURP is, in fact, an appropriate treatment option for retention.  Many thanks.  It's great to have some help with this and good to connect with others who experience the same condition.  (Fortunately, in this case, the catheter expelled during my sleep and the stone came out via the usual route.)
How are you? What other medical condition is present?  It is good that the stone passed the usual route. If you are referring to Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) , a minimally invasive endoscopic procedure, this is used  to treat enlarged prostate BPH that is causing obstruction.  Kidney and bladder stones are usually removed through lithotrpsy or litholaplaxy, It is best that you discuss this with your attending physician also for proper management. Take care and do keep us posted.
Thank you Dr. Santos.  I have a meeting with another physician next week for a re-evaluation of my overall situation.  I appreciate your response.