Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

cystine kidney stones and pregnancy

I've had cysteine kidney stones since I was 16, am now 23. I am also 9 weeks pregnant and I know while pregnant they can't do surgery. But, I have like 5-6 stones in my left side and my right side has some obstruction here lately I've been having a lot of pain, had worse, but still hurts. What options do I have to get rid of the pain while being pregnant? If anybody can help, please do.
Hi there! You have been suffering from a condition which causes recurrent kidney stones. It is passed down through families and cystine stones form anywhere in the urinary tract. Ideally management of your disease should have begun prior to conception. Though in most cases these stones pass on their own but if not then it can result in many complications like initiation of normal labour, risk of urinary tract infection or urosepsis.Treatment in pregnancy varies individual to individual. For pain relief consult your urologist considering what is safe during pregnancy. Bed rest, hydration, analgesia, stent placement, percutaneous nephrostomy are the possible options. The size of stones, position of stones and your general health condition will help in deciding the exact treatment for you. Hope it helps. Take care and good luck!