Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

kidney stone prevent?

I had kidney stone but I passed it. Do I add the maintenance supplements–flaxseed, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6, and zinc/copper–on a long-term basis. Will I have less getting the kidney stone again? How much calcium and zinc do I take?
I'll tell you what my Urologist told me a couple of months ago after he had to go in and remove three stones from me. "If you're prone to get kidney stones, you will"! Now, since you've already had the one stone, that makes you "prone" to get them. He told me that taking all the supplements wouldn't help or hurt me. I was concerned about taking a calcium supplement and whether or not it would increase my chances for making another stone since mine are calcium based. Even with that and a history of stones over many years, he just told me to drink plenty of fluids and he'd probably see me again in the future. In other words, if you're going to get them, you will. I appreciated his honesty on the matter and I'm passing it onto you because of your question. Also, taking Flomax will help you too in passing stones yourself.