Kidney Stones Community
417 Members

kidney stones formation

I'm taking vit d3 4000 iu for 8 months. My latest vit d level is 45 ng / ml my ionized calcium is 1.17 ( 1.20 -  1.35 )  my question is am I at risk in developing kidney stones?  Thank you
pong,

I take vitamin d to strengthen bones because of my history with kidney stones and taking a calcium supplement isn't good for me because one of the main things that make up my kidney stones is calcium. As a result, I can't take calcium supplements and don't. I guess to answer your question, one would have to know how your body handles calcium. Does it throw the excess of it off and out of your system or does that excess help make stones in your body. I can't answer that and your personal health history should show you the answer to your question.