Lactose Intolerance Community
47 Members

could this be a milk allergy?

I'm currently pregnant, and I receive Wic for bothme and my 1 and a half year old.  He gets whole milk and I get 1% milk.  I try to stick to the 1% but it always gives me a belly ache and gas, sometimes nausea.  But I can drink the same amount of the whole milk and it doesn't do that.  But if I drink too much whole milk it will.  But usually I stick to a glass in the morning and maybe a glass later on.  And evedytime the 1% milk gives me gas and a belly ache, but the whole milk doesn't even when drinking the same amount of whole as I do the 1% milk.  What could cause me to have the gas and belly ache sometimes nausea, with the 1% but not the whole milk?  When I eat ice cream it also gives me gas and a belly ache.  I love milk, especially chocolate milk, and I would hate to have to stop drinking it.  Is there something I should do or could do that could help out?  The Wic office won't change my milk unless my doctor said so and I'm still waiting for Medicaid so I can't see my doctor yet, so I wanted to see what others thought.  Any help/advice is appreciated.  
To me it sounds like you have a lactose sensitivity. I can't tell you if you pregnancy is causing it or not.  For now I wouldn't drink milk I'd find other ways to get that calcium. I guess you could also try lactose free milk.  Maybe even mention it to a doctor and see what they say. Be sure to come back and update us on how you are doing.
Lactose Intolerance Community
47 Members
51 Questions
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem