Aa
A
A
A
Close
Leukemia and Lymphoma Community
1.84k Members

Bone pain after drinking alcohol

I experience severe bone pain after ingesting alcohol, that can last for hours. I have a history of Hodgkin's Lymphoma in remission for 3.5 years. The bone pain is in my hips and legs, and it's 10 out of 10 severity. I have been experiencing this for the past 3 months or so, and it's becoming more severe. Not sure if this is cancer in my bones or avascular necrosis?  Confused. My last pet scan 3 months ago was clear...other than my bones lighting up some. Arthritis was ruled out by rheumatologist. Not sure if this is a rare kind of HL in the bones, and no where else. Last time I had HL it was in the mediastinal region, and I was stage 2b. I didn't have a bone marrow biopsy then, though my bones were bright on pet scans. So...who knows? Maybe it's been in my bones all along. Or is it something else?
1 Responses
907672 tn?1381025723
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum.  So, looking at your last PET scan, does it mention anything about bone SUV (standardized uptake value)?  Usually a number is given to show how much glucose is taken up in a particular area.  The radioactive glucose is attracted to cancer, therefore, the higher the SUV number usually indicates more cancer in that particular area.  

It seems like such a short period of time from when you had your PET scan to having such harsh bone pain symptoms after consuming alcohol, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to mention it to your doctor.  I've heard of some people with Hodgkins having jaw pain when consuming alcohol, but I have never heard of pain elsewhere in the body.  I have never heard of avascular necrosis, is this something you've been diagnosed with previously?  
Have an Answer?
Top Leukemia & Lymphoma Answerers
1081992 tn?1389903637
PA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
From causes to treatment options, get answers to your questions about CML, a type of blood cancer
New drug options on the horizon may make CML, a type of blood cancer, one of the few success stories in cancer treatment
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.