Leukemia and Lymphoma Community

Bone pain after drinking alcohol

I experience severe bone pain after ingesting alcohol, that can last for hours. I have a history of Hodgkin's Lymphoma in remission for 3.5 years. The bone pain is in my hips and legs, and it's 10 out of 10 severity. I have been experiencing this for the past 3 months or so, and it's becoming more severe. Not sure if this is cancer in my bones or avascular necrosis?  Confused. My last pet scan 3 months ago was clear...other than my bones lighting up some. Arthritis was ruled out by rheumatologist. Not sure if this is a rare kind of HL in the bones, and no where else. Last time I had HL it was in the mediastinal region, and I was stage 2b. I didn't have a bone marrow biopsy then, though my bones were bright on pet scans. So...who knows? Maybe it's been in my bones all along. Or is it something else?
Hi there,
Welcome to the forum.  So, looking at your last PET scan, does it mention anything about bone SUV (standardized uptake value)?  Usually a number is given to show how much glucose is taken up in a particular area.  The radioactive glucose is attracted to cancer, therefore, the higher the SUV number usually indicates more cancer in that particular area.  

It seems like such a short period of time from when you had your PET scan to having such harsh bone pain symptoms after consuming alcohol, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to mention it to your doctor.  I've heard of some people with Hodgkins having jaw pain when consuming alcohol, but I have never heard of pain elsewhere in the body.  I have never heard of avascular necrosis, is this something you've been diagnosed with previously?