Aa
A
A
A
Close
Leukemia and Lymphoma Community
1.81k Members

High white blood cell count

I am 16 years old and just wondering (I did not want to make a doctor's appointment just for this) but in the past few years I have had a few blood tests and each time they say I have a high white blood cell count. I know that is some how related to leukemia, but I did not know where to post this. However, my doctor doesn't seem the slightest bit concerned. I am just wondering what sort of medical problems are associated with a high white blood cell count? Anemia? Please help :)
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi. High white blood cell count (leukocytosis) does not necessarily equate with leukemia.  More common conditions which can result in leukocytosis are the following:

1. Bacterial or viral infections
2. Parasitic infestations
3. Steroid use
4. Exercise
5. Any inflammatory condition (examples: certain forms of arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease)

Although the white blood cell count is usually elevated in leukemias, the hallmark of this disease is the appearance of atypical/ abnormal white blood cells in blood and bone marrow smears.
Have an Answer?
Top Leukemia & Lymphoma Answerers
1081992 tn?1389907237
PA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
An interview with the co-discoverer of one of the biggest breakthroughs in cancer research
From causes to treatment options, get answers to your questions about CML, a type of blood cancer
New drug options on the horizon may make CML, a type of blood cancer, one of the few success stories in cancer treatment
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.