Leukemia and Lymphoma Community

Swollen Gland in Groin

In late early July 2013 i was diagnosed with Epididymitis.  I te4sted negative for major bacterial causes.  The doctor suspects a viral infection of some sort.  I was told to wait it out.  I went to walk in clinic three weeks later as i began getting a pain in my goin on the right side.  It seemed to stick out a little more than the left.  The doctor said it could be hernia or a swollen lymph node which would make more sense with a genital infection present.  He sent me for an ultrasound to confirm the lump.  It was  confirmed a swollen lymph node:  "mildly enlarged right goin lymph node corresponding to the area of tenderness with mostly benign features likely reactive and of questionable significance."  it measure 19.3mm x 11.1mm x 5.7mm.  My issue is that it is a month past that that diagnosis.  I can't tell if the lump is any bigger, but i do know the pain has not gone away and slightly increased.  Pain spreads to my upper right thiigh, right buttock, right lower back and kidney area.  In early july i had my annual physical and my blood work came back clean.  nothing unusual our outstanding.  My concern is lymphoma.  Can anyone please comment.  I have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow to review the pain i have in my groin and thigh.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Hi, lymphoma in a node is almost always not painful. The pain comes when immune cells multiply to fight an infection, and push outward on the node's surrounding capsule. But cancer grows right through the outer covering and so doesn't cause pressure/pain.

That plus the good sono means you shouldn't worry about lymphoma. Maybe your infection is still active. Do you have weakened immunity?

I'd want another CBC, to rule out a kidney infection. Do you have fever? Or maybe it's just referred pain.
Thank you for your response.  To my knowledge, i do not have weakened immunity.  I'm fairly healthy most of the time.  average weight and height.  My cholesterol is a little high, but nothing else really.  I have no fever.  This all started in June.  I had testicle pain.  my initial fears were testicular cancer and than when that was ruled out, i feared STD's.  During that time was very scared and depreseed.  I did not eat or sleep much at all.  I lost over ten pounds in a month from the nervousness.  I have gained a lot of that weight back now.  I never had night sweats or anything like that.  just rear and anxiety.  The weight loss was very rapid.  my doctor thinks it was the anxiety.
COMMUNITY LEADER
Well, if STD tests are all negative then there is probably still some infection - but you also possibly have an immune system which is not average (and might be overactive rather than suppressed).

Histamine is an immune system chemical which is also a neurotransmitter and can be involved in anxiety. The antihistamine Benedryl was actually the precursor in development to Prozac. That's something to keep in mind.

Does your kidney hurt when you press on it?
There is no Kidney pain.  Just an occassional sharp pain once in a while that seems to stem from my groin.  At times it actually feels like someone tied a tight rubber band around my leg where my abdomen and groin meet.  tightness and pressure, especially in the front if the thigh/groin.
COMMUNITY LEADER
That's good then, Since you'd originally mentioned kidney, it's important to rule out a kidney infection which can be very serious.

So you might have "referred pain". Just guessing. That occurs when the nervous system is not experienced/educated in pain from an unusual area and so can't quite pin down the location.

At least, I think, you can not get bogged down with needless worry about lymphoma. Good luck with your appt tomorrow.
Ken, thanks for the support and your input. I will update the posting when I get more feedback from the doctor.