Why might I have and high wbc

I had two surgeries in 2016 and have yet to be the same. Emergency gall bladder and complete hysterectomy at two different times. Ever since gall bladder surgery, i have been so swollen in my arms, hands, face, fingers, stomach.. i am most swollen when I wake, but stay swollen through out the day even with taking a diuretic. My vitamin D stays low even though I’ve been taking 51,000 iu 2X a week for almost a year. It’s only 38. Without the huge doses, it goes way low.. so obviously my body is not retaining it. I have not been able to lose weight and I’m one of the most discipline dieters.. i eat healthy anyway, but I don’t cheat when I’m dieting. My cholesterol is high too. The good cholesterol is low(which should be high) and the bad cholesterol is high... my blood pressure is great. My wbc is 13.2 and my red blood cells are high normal.. i had high absolute lymphocytes and high immature granulocytes. Please help me figure this out....
COMMUNITY LEADER
Can you write on your sternum with your fingernail? (dermographia)
COMMUNITY LEADER
Do you have cystitis?
COMMUNITY LEADER
here's an MC degranulating, 29 sec video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT7knZ6_8rk

Also please find some vids showing "niacin flush". You might flush a *lot* more than normal, so be very careful if you experiment.

Also, have you had homocysteine tested?

Let's see what else... your potassium is okay so you maybe/probably are on a loop diuretic, and you'd have to be wary of loop diuretics producing more prostaglandins which cause reddening. Then there's possibly avoiding arachidonic acid in foods.

Got to go for now...

I’m going to watch the videos and do some research too. I appreciate all of your help. If you think of anything else, please let me know. I don’t know if i have a UTI, I wasn’t checked for that before given the antibiotic that I’m taking now for two weeks. If my wbc is elevated do to the mast cells, will antibiotic decrease my wbc?
COMMUNITY LEADER

Also, have you had homocysteine tested?

Got to go for now...

COMMUNITY LEADER
I ran across this very recent article. It pretty much says what we've been talking about.  https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/893858

Mast Cell Activation May Underlie 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome'

Also, you hadn't replied as to which kind of diuretic you've been taking, but from a very quick look I don't anyway see that being used to treat angioedema. Angioedema is localized and temporary, while what you have seems to be similar but generalized and chronic - quite possibly because your MCs are constantly releasing. Antihistamines might be a good avenue for you. There are many types. Or/and maybe corticosteroids.

Quercetin is a plant-derived option to try and stabilize MCs.

Thank you so much for this information. The diuretic I’m on is furosemide. I will have repeat blood work tomorrow. I’m hoping my wbc will go down after two weeks of being on antibiotic. While taking the antibiotic I have been even more lethargic. There were days I literally slept until 1:00 in the afternoon. When I would finally wake, I felt drugged... i just want to feel normal again.
COMMUNITY LEADER
It seems to be known that an abx can cause tiredness. The possible cause could be somehow from killing off the beneficial gut bacteria. If ever I was taking an abx, I'd take yogurt as a minimum to help restore the beneficial bacteria. Or you can go further and buy capsules with mixtures that also include bifido etc. It's a complicated subject, like most things are.

Let's hope that stopping the abx helps end the awful tiredness. Let me know how it goes.
I sure will! I bought 3 books on the mast cell activation. I’m looking forward to gaining lots of knowledge. I’ll keep you posted on blood work results next week.

You are reading content posted in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Community