Liver Disorders Community

Ammonia

My mum is 79 yrs old and for the past 11 days has had chronic diarrhoea she has visited her GP and a stool sample has been sent to be checked, in the meantime I have started to get a very strong smell of ammonia from her, It reminds me of peroxide and I was nearly smelling her hair thinking she may have had her hair permed, she has also had really bad abdominal pain and loss of appetite and breathlessness, how do I find out if she has high levels of ammonia, I am to believe that if she has it can be a sign of kidney or liver problems
If only a stool sample was taken, I'm surprised her GP didn't do more because of her 11 days of symptoms.  That's a long time to go without some kind of relief.  Be sure the doctor is informed about her other symptoms of breathlessness, abdominal pain, loss of appetite, and ammonia smell.  
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem