Liver Disorders Community

Any advise

I'm a 27 year old female..I recently had to undergo emergency surgery to have an orange sized  cyst removed from my ovary..The Doctor said it had torsed and ruptured my ovary and turns out I had stage 4 endometreosis for the 2nd time.....so they had to take that ovary...Anyway, when the Dr. was doing the surgery..She said she noticed that I had extensive scarring on my Liver..She even asked my parents if I was an alcoholic or drug user...Which I am not...I don't even drink socially..like maybe twice a year...and I don't use drugs,pain killers..or anything like that.I do not take Iron ablets, or any other vitamin supplement...The Dr. said all my blood work looked normal...But I am more than just a we bit concerned....I mean .how does a liver get scarred up?? Do I have some condition or is this normal( I don't think so)....Any advise would be helpful...
My first thought at what else could create liver scarring is an autoimmune problem. Have you ever had an ANA titer done in your bloodwork, or does your family have a history of autoimmune disorders such as lupus? Scarring on the liver in a healthy individual would have to have an explainable cause; it would not just happen out of no where. My second thought would of course be hepatitis, but I assume if you had bloodwork done, you must have had liver studcies done as well, which would have ruled out hepatitis. There are most likely other explanations or conditions for this, but your doctors, or doing your own research, would turn out the best answers. Bewst of luck.

Sara RN
I have had 2 positive ANA tests in the past couple of years, but then when they do a full ANA Panel, it comes back negative..My grandmother died from SLE when she was 34..But no one else in our family has had any issues. I also have hematacrosis in my family..but I would think my bloodwork would show elevated Iron if this were the case...I am really confused and concerned..I wish the surgeon would have gotten a biopsy of my liver while she was already in there..lol..My husband keeps telling me that if the Dr. said not to be concerned that I don't need to be..But this is my liver, and i'm only 27..and not an alcoholic, drug user..etc..this shouldn't be happening. I have been so sick over the past 5 years in general...just wish I could figure out what the heck is wrong w/ me..I've had so may tests...The wierdest thing is I was never sick..EVER..until I got pregnant and had a child..all my health problems starting happening with in the first year after her birth..probabilt just a coincidence.I've tried to do research..but the only thing I can come up with is Autoimmune Hepatitus..or possible Hematacrosis just cause it runs in my family....or possible endometrial cells are depositing themselves onto my liver and then with each menstration..they shed and this causes new scar tissue...But if that last one were the case..then I would think my dr, would have gotten the endometreosis off my liver as well...So I don't know....Not having medical Insurance will be the cause of premature death in so many..when it doesn't have to be...
My goodness, well I certainly empathize about the lack of proper medical insurance being a problem. Reading what you've written, it seems like you are right on target and pretty on top of things. And I have to say, often times things don't show up in initial blood testing that are actually there. That's why it often takes people with autoimmune diseases years to get properly diagnosed. If your doctor said not to be concerned and you are feeling fine, that's one thing, but you aren't feeling fine and you haven't been for some time. To me, that's reason for concern simply because you are a person, and you don't deserve to feel sick all the time. Also, you feeling sick means there is a cause for you feeling that way, whether it shows up in initial bloodwork or not. It's hard to give suggestions in a situation when medical insurance is not accessible. I would suggest doing anything to get some type of insurance. If you go to the emergency room, for any reason, they offer you what's called CMS, which can pay for your hospital visit and can also offer you coverage with other bassic medical care if you qualify. Of course there's always medi-cal, but that's a lenghty process and you have to qualify as well, meaning you would most likely have to qualify for disability. Regardless, any way to get you insurance, no matter what hardships it takes in the meantime, I think will get you involved in the medical community and get you started. But, that is, also of course, if you want to pursue this. Th other option is to wait it out. Either way, I wish you the best of luck, and this website is always here if you need any guidance or support!

Sara RN

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem