Liver Disorders Community

Bloodwork Results Liver

Rcvd my lab results back.  Not sure if this is the Hep Panel also..  My gastro ordered a CBC and Hep Panel.  Everything was within normal range but below:  

The labs that are abnormal are the:

Platelets at 120  s/c 140-440  (I have always run low platelets since being on tnf biologics for rheum arthritis)

Lymphocytes are 18.3 L   Should be:  20-35
Lymph absolute is   .9   S/B  1-4
Sodium is 131 L  S/B 136-145

Now the
Globulin 4.5 H    S/B 2.0 to 3.5
A/G .8   S/B .9-2.0
ALK PHOS  is 1.64 H  S/B  0.00-1.00
AST is 41H   S/B  5-37

ESR is 29

Can anyone help with these results?  I know my drs will be calling this week.  I already have an appt with my rheumy next week.  

Thanks to anyone who can jump in here.  Its been a long Labor Day weekend.  

Paula

Sorry but these tests are not liver function tests, neither CBC or hep panel.
We would also need to know something about your history with hepatitis and liver disease.

Post CBC, liver function tests and hepatitis panel when you have them.

Hector
wbc is 5.2
rbc is 4.53
hemo 13.1
hemat 38.1
mcv 84.0
mch 29.0
mchc 34.5
rdw 14.3
plats 120 low
mpv  8.2
neutrro 70.9
neuts abs  3.7
lympho 18.3  low
lymph absol 0.9 low
mono 9.8
all rest in cbc are normal
wil post hep panel when I receive
Thank you.

wbc is 5.2
rbc is 4.53
hemo 13.1
hemat 38.1
mcv 84.0
mch 29.0
mchc 34.5
rdw 14.3
plats 120 low
mpv  8.2
neutrro 70.9
neuts abs  3.7
lympho 18.3  low
lymph absol 0.9 low
mono 9.8
all rest in cbc are normal
wil post hep panel when I receive
Thank you.

ast was  46 high

alt was  47 normal
I dont have any history of liver disease...dr just found esophageal varices during an egd .
Total protein was normal at 8.1  s/b 6.4 - 8.2
albumin was normal 3.6  s/b 3.4 - 5.0
bun/creat  9
pt normal 10.8
inr 1.0 normal

all other tests are normal, potassium, chloride, co2,anion gap, glucose, bun, creatinine blood, calcium,total protein and albumin.

will post more results as they come.  Thank you.
Esophageal varices are a strong indication of liver disease - cirrhosis or scaring of the liver. When the liver is scared the blood flow through the portal vein into the liver is obstructed/slowed and the blood can back up and seek paths of less resistance such as the small veins in the esophagus. These vessels can distend and if the portal pressure is great enough these vessels can rupture and bleed. This is a very serious situation and demands attention and monitoring.

Your low platelet count is also consistent with cirrhosis. Cirrhosis is often associated with an enlarged spleen which traps and sequesters platelets resulting in a lower than normal platelet count.

There are less common causes of varices. I found this at mayoclinic.com.

"...Blood clot (thrombosis). A blood clot in the portal vein or in a vein that feeds into the portal vein called the splenic vein can cause esophageal varices.
A parasitic infection. Schistosomiasis is a parasitic infection found in parts of Africa, South America, the Caribbean, the Middle East and Southeast Asia. The parasite can damage the liver, as well as the lungs, intestine and bladder.
A syndrome that causes blood to back up in your liver. Budd-Chiari syndrome is a rare condition that causes blood clots that can block the veins that carry blood out of your liver....."

If you are not already being seen by a specialist I definitely believe that you should be seen by a hepatologist (liver specialist) or if one is not available then a gastroenterologist (digestive disease specialist).

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/esophageal-varices/DS00820/DSECTION=causes

Good luck,
Mike
Thank you Mike.  I am so nervous hearing all of this.  Waiting for lab results since before labor day.  UGH......my stomach is in knots.  we get a card that has a number to call for test results within 2 weeks of surgery, procedures but nothing yet.  It states that the office doesnt have the results till they're on line.  Its so stressful......the office never answers the phone..all you get is voice messages.  Its a large gastro/hep clinic in Canton OH and I feel like just a number.  

My rheumatologist said my numbers were okay but he didn't say good..some mildly low some mildly high.  Platelets at 120.  

Ugh..this waiting is heck.  

Thanks for your comments,,,Paul

Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem