Liver Disorders Community

Rising AST and ALT - No diagnosis

I have unexplained elevated ASTs & ALTs.   They were normal in June, but have been rising consistently since 9/7 and are now 453 & 365.
I do not have a diagnosis and am getting worse.
I had a sonogram and MRCP, which only showed a dialation of the common bile duct.   This is normal for someone who has had RNY Gastric Bypass.   All other results of both the sonogram and MRCP were normal.   No masses, no blocks, no stones, no nothing.

I went to the doctor  in Sept. because I was fatigued and had a red spot on my breast.    I was told the spot was a yeast infection and told to treat it with Lotirimin.   It is not improving.  Bigger than a silver dollar.    I was tested for Hepatitus and Lyme.   All okay.   They did a glucose tolerence test, which I failed miserably with a drop in blood sugar to 34.    Again this should have been known to be normal for Gastric Bypass patients.   Fasting and non-fasting sugar levels are all normal.   They decided this was not an issue.

The rest of my history:
1997 - weighed 397 lbs.   Had RNY gastric bypass and gall bladder removed. Current weight 245
1998 - Alcohol addiction started.
2004 - hospitalized for detox and a bunch of bad health associated with the alcohol abuse.  I had and still have an ulcer.   Take protonix.
2005 - Quit drinking after a brief relapse and sober ever since.
2005 to 2010 - ALL bloodwork normal and extremely healthy. Blood pressure 120/70 , low chloreseral, normal sugar, normal liver panels every 6 months.

In the last month, I've been having some mild discomfort on the right side and one episode of acute pain that lasted 15 minutes.   Stool and urine normal.  Some loss of appetite.    Depressed, may just be from the situation or may have some physical cause.   Very irritable.

Doctor has scheduled me for an upper endoscopy next Wednesday.   Can't do an ERCP because of the changes to digestive system ffrom bariatric surgery.  

In the meantime, I just keep getting sicker & sicker.    Is there something else we should do to diagnose my problem?    

I had high liver enzymes, and extreme fatigue. My doctor sent me to a gastroenteritis. I was first diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis, ( not the contagious hepatitis). My liver is very damaged, and after going to a Hepatologist here in Louisville where I live, I was told that I have non alcoholic NASH can't exactly spell it as well as a fatty liver. It was found with a biopsy which I would ask for if I were you. 3/4 of my liver is scarred, and I have no idea how it got that way.

You might consider doing what I did. I got to the bottom of it that way.

Good luck.

Judy
Learn which OTC medications can help relieve your digestive troubles.
Is a gluten-free diet right for you?
Discover common causes of and remedies for heartburn.
This common yet mysterious bowel condition plagues millions of Americans
Don't get burned again. Banish nighttime heartburn with these quick tips
Get answers to your top questions about this pervasive digestive problem