Strange odor

My 79 year old mother in December was diagnosed with fatty tissue cirrhosis of the liver. She is on diruetics, blood pressure medicine,Ursodiol, probiotics, prilosec. She also recently was diagnosed with diabetes, which she likely has had for years. She takes Lantus 35 units once a day. Last week she developed a very strange odor from her breath and we immediately thought it was Ketones. Checked several times even in saliva and it was negative. Her GI doctor had test done for ammonia and it was normal. As days went on it was not only in breath but also coming from sweat. She felt very bad off and on and had clammy skin and the odor was very strong. So strong that it permeated whole house. No one seems to know or worry about what it is. Can anyone help?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Cirrhosis can cause breath odor. The breath odor is often described as musty and is thought to be the result of increased dimethyl sulfide.
I believe that the body odor may be the result of toxins which in a healthy liver would be broken down and eliminated. I am not sure of this but I seem to recall reading about it.
Mike