Good morning Dr.
I go to see my Gastro doctor ever three months. 523 days ago I was diagnosed with end stage alcoholic cirrhosis. Here are a list of my symptoms:
End stage cirrhosis
Varices grade 3
During my last visit to the doctor he told me that “he guarantees that in about 5 years I will be needing a liver transplant, 10 years on the outside.” I imagine he is basing this on the severity of my portal hypertension. My platelet 67, ammonia 61, bilirubin 2.4, GGT 127. 6 months ago meld score 8. At the time of diagnosis 17. So I feel recovery has been going amazingly well for me. The rest of my numbers are all within normal ranges. l limits and I drink probably 10-12 16oz bottles of water a day.
Medications: I take vitamin C, B-complex, milk thistle. Other daily meds include xifaxan, lactalose, lexapro and metoprolol. Blood pressure diuretic Lisinopril,Hydrochlorthiazide 20mg/12.5mg. BP is 100/58. Diagnosed at age 38 currently 39 male.
1) Finally on to my question, is it really strange that I don’t have or never have had Ascites or Edema? Is this a problem you see in my future?
2) I’ve tried to provide as much information as possible so I could ask you if you agree with my doctors assessment of transplantation.
3) I currently have great medical insurance through my wife’s work. If we relocate and she loses the insurance I would be eligible for Medicare. Would having different insurance effect the procedure or my ability to have the procedure in any way? Should I consider not relocating?
4) Is there a large risk of a liver not being available at the time of my needing one?
5) Do you have any suggestions for me? I would really apreciate the advice.