Aa
A
A
A
Close
Liver Transplant Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

HCV and second transplant

I have had some complications that will retard my treatment start time and may even make treatment impossible.  My transplant team which is with a world class hospital says they do not do second transplants for HCV liver recipients.  

They also said that if I have liver blood results that are bad instead of giving me rescue drugs they will lower my treatment doses.

Please comment on whether I should find a new transplant center and transfer my care to them.
7 Responses
517301 tn?1229801385
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
many programs will not retransplant patients with HCV if the transplanted liver is failing due to the HCV.  This is not a philosophy shared by all centers.  The retransplant success rate is much lower.  The key is to retransplant the patients before their MELD score climbs too high.  are you on interferon therapy?
no they are waiting until the following clears up:

blood clot
bile duct blockage
high biliruben over 3.6
I was just put on Warfarin to treat the clot and they are telling me I will need ERCP every two weeks.

I plan to start treatment as soon as possible, but all of these complications make me doubt whether or not I can withstand the treatment.
517301 tn?1229801385
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
where is the blood clot?
they say the blood clot is in the liver.  Probably one og the large veins going i or out of the liver.  Any reason to do a ERCP every two months.
517301 tn?1229801385
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
if you have a biliary stent in place it is common practice to change it every 2-3 months to prevent if from getting obstructed.  if a stricture is present it should also be balloon dilated at the time of the stent exchange.
I had the stent successfully removed and another one set.  The procedure cured the chronic pain problem.  Now I have to choose whether or not to undergo a hernia (incisional)
operation before I start treatment.

What do you think about this Dr., I will be on tx for 48 months (at least).

Thank you in advance,
Bob
517301 tn?1229801385
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
ideally, no elective operation or invasive procedure should be performed while you are on interferon treatment
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.