Liver Transplant Forum

HCV and second transplant

I have had some complications that will retard my treatment start time and may even make treatment impossible.  My transplant team which is with a world class hospital says they do not do second transplants for HCV liver recipients.  

They also said that if I have liver blood results that are bad instead of giving me rescue drugs they will lower my treatment doses.

Please comment on whether I should find a new transplant center and transfer my care to them.
many programs will not retransplant patients with HCV if the transplanted liver is failing due to the HCV.  This is not a philosophy shared by all centers.  The retransplant success rate is much lower.  The key is to retransplant the patients before their MELD score climbs too high.  are you on interferon therapy?
no they are waiting until the following clears up:

blood clot
bile duct blockage
high biliruben over 3.6
I was just put on Warfarin to treat the clot and they are telling me I will need ERCP every two weeks.

I plan to start treatment as soon as possible, but all of these complications make me doubt whether or not I can withstand the treatment.
where is the blood clot?
they say the blood clot is in the liver.  Probably one og the large veins going i or out of the liver.  Any reason to do a ERCP every two months.
if you have a biliary stent in place it is common practice to change it every 2-3 months to prevent if from getting obstructed.  if a stricture is present it should also be balloon dilated at the time of the stent exchange.
I had the stent successfully removed and another one set.  The procedure cured the chronic pain problem.  Now I have to choose whether or not to undergo a hernia (incisional)
operation before I start treatment.

What do you think about this Dr., I will be on tx for 48 months (at least).

Thank you in advance,
Bob
ideally, no elective operation or invasive procedure should be performed while you are on interferon treatment
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.