Liver Transplant Forum

High AST and ALT

Hi, and thanks for taking your time to answer folks questions.  Last year at my physical my AST and ALT were 36 and 55. Had an ultrasound done that came back normal, so nothing further was pursued.  Now it is a year and a half later and I had a new test done and AST is 131 and ALT is 145. All other liver bloodwork was normal. Freaking out because I have no medical insurance.  Last year my doctor told me she thinks I have fatty liver. I also take metoprolol for PVC's, which I just found out on line can damage your liver.  Are these levels extremely high or what?  Since I took the test a week ago, I am determined to eat much healthier and lose weight.  What do you think about the metoprolol, and do you think that I should see a liver specialist immediately, or try to bring it down with diet for a while and see if that helps?  I am otherwise very healthy.  
the most common cause of abnormal liver tests in the US is fatty liver.  Try to lose weight and eat healthy and I am usre that they will decrease appreciably or normalize.  they are not that high--you should however be screened for viral hepatitis.  i highly doubt that the abnormalities are due to the metoprolol
Thanks, I think your advice is good.  I discovered this morning that I have a UTI.  Took an over the counter test. I have never had one before so I didn't recognize the symptoms. Can a UTI cause AST and ALT levels to elevate?
typically no
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.