Liver Transplant Forum

Liver Disease

Hi, my name is Patty and I am 29 years old. To say that liver disease runs in my family would be a huge understatement, for my grandmother, aunt, and my father have all died of cirrhosis of the liver. Neither of the 3 were alcoholics either. Since the age of 18, I have had routine checkups and blood work, keeping a close eye on my liver function and health. In January of 2010, I was diagnosed with gallbladder disease and had surgery to remove it. Afterwards, the surgeon who performed it told me that I had a lot of scar tissue on my liver, in which complicated the surgery, and knowing of my family medical history, advised me to see a liver specialist. Since then, I have had several medical problems which were all, unknown to me until just recently, signs and symptoms of cirrhosis of the liver. Medical problems such as nausea & vomiting (sometimes blood), pain in that area, diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, diagnosed with ADD, constant forgetfulness & confusion, yellow spots in the whites of my eyes, skin rashes (mainly on my face and hands), itching all over my body, swelling of my abdomen, and dramatic weight loss. All of these are in my records and until 2 weeks ago I did not know they all had a common link. But, aside from the signs and symptoms, why would a CT scan of my liver come back normal and no signs of scarring?!?! I don't understand. I feel completely helpless, give out, and very scared. Please, any advise would be greatly appreciated.
hi,

I am a 1 1/2 year post liver transplant patient.  My advice is to see a GI specialist who focuses on liver disease.   There are a series of diagnostic procedures they would recommend if warranted.  If liver disease is confirmed then they should request blood labs to determine a MELD score.  In a nutshell, this can become very overwhelming but I am trying to reassure  you that there many steps to take before determining the worst case.  You need to stay positive as this helps your body stay healthy as possible to meet the challenge.  Depression and stress can produce negative results in your body functioning.  
Stay Postive and Stay Well,
Bill
i agree with bill.  there are certain inheritable liver disorders that can be screened for with blood tests.  check to see if they did a liver biopsy at the time of your cholecystectomy.
I have Hep C now for almost 18 years, when working in pathology clinic they gave me the Hep A & B vaccine, I would like to know the out come? at the time they gave me the vaccine the Hep C was knew and very little was known about it, but now I am worried I also was diagnose with lupus the Dr. did a special blood test discovered the lupus, their are other thing wrong but my concern is the above ? I thank you.        
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.